PDA

View Full Version : river rage!!!!!!!!!!!!! my first witness

billyspey
05-02-2007, 10:55 PM
i have witness road rage several times before but saw my first river rage!!
i fish the cumberland river on monday 3 boats in a run of maybe 250 yards long ,everyone was making out just fine no was stepping on anyone toes. flyfisherman and spin fisherman. than all of a sudden here comes this lone flyfisherman in a boat on ever fish hooked he lets out a yell ,wanting to be seen [ i guess] kept coming down the run pulling in front of every boat came and in on me, i didn't say anything to him, i could have take his hat off on my next cast very easy that how close he was. he floated on down to where these 2 spin fisher were ,they had just landed a fish was putting it in a cooler. when all of a sudden he challanges them on keeping fish. saying hey you can not keep these fish. and more words exchanged that should not be typed here. than he rams there boat and challenges them to the bank to settle it. but they told him to go away. i went on by down stream was floating another section when he comes by again this time heading toward my fly line with his outboard of course i let him know he was heading toward my line, he was about 10 ft. from my boat,then he says that i had pulled in front of him. i said how soon we forget that he had pulled in front about 100 yrds up river and i had not said a word to him. by this time i was getting mad by the way he had treated the spin guys which was all uncalled for and threating my line and me . so he goes on and cuts in on another boat about 100 yrds on down the river. this old boy is heading for trouble . he is going to challange the wrong guy and he will become a log in the river. some one will put a boat paddle between his ears.[] can we not get away from all that anger on the water.] and it might be me . i don,t like to be threated by anyone i'am not one to challange i want turn it down. i fish for enjoyment if you want to keep fish thats all right the regs. says you can . does this give flyfishermen a bad name.

ijsouth
05-02-2007, 11:15 PM
That's pretty bad - I've seen some short tempers out on the water, but this guy sounds like he thought he was in some dive bar, looking for a fight.

Jswitow
05-02-2007, 11:25 PM
I would bet he was not sober!
The world is full of them, can imagine that wrecked the day.
Best,
John

ijsouth
05-02-2007, 11:37 PM
You're right John....but, I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like there are a lot more of these cage cases now than a few years ago, both on the road and in other areas of life.

DryFly1
05-03-2007, 06:45 AM
does this give flyfishermen a bad name.

No, but it sure gives common human decency a black eye. Sorry you (and others)had to witness this guy's antics!

Mark....

kytroutman
05-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately Bill, I have witnessed this occurrence too many times on the Cumberland and before anyone says anything, from the boat registrations, its the locals as much as the visitors. On one occasion, I saw nearly the same behavior and when the "gentleman" got close enough for me to see him, he was actually one of the "upstanding" members of one of the TU chapters here in KY. It's hard to turn the other cheek but these days, you never know whether someone is under the influence and whether they are carrying a concealed weapon.

MTN_TRT
05-03-2007, 08:21 AM
That guy isnt a flyfisherman. Enough said.

Grumpy
05-03-2007, 08:23 AM
My hat's off to the spin fisherman, if he had rammed my boat intentionally, he would have seen a concealed weapon;)
Cell phone users should keep an 800# handy for the area they're fishing, tell them you're holding the perpatrator at gunpoint:biggrin: , you'll get a response, hmm, i may start carrying handcuffs:cool:
It's ashame that you can't go to a river to get away from the problems of the world anymore, what better therapy can you find for the price of a fishing license?
Grumpy

DryFly1
05-03-2007, 09:29 AM
It's ashame that you can't go to a river to get away from the problems of the world anymore, what better therapy can you find for the price of a fishing license?
Grumpy

That's why I like the backcountry so much!!!

**** BTW: Well said MNT_TRT.......

Mark...

Troutman
05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=DryFly1;37684]That's why I like the backcountry so much!!!

As long as you don't run into the Eric Rudolphs or the cast from the movie "Deliverance"!!!

DryFly1
05-03-2007, 10:04 AM
[quote=DryFly1;37684]

As long as you don't run into the Eric Rudolphs or the cast from the movie "Deliverance"!!!

:eek: If I made it out alive,that would be a "painful" fishing report and loaded with expletives!!

Plunker
05-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Paddle Faster!!!
I hear Banjo Music:p

appalachian angler
05-04-2007, 06:54 PM
If I could afford a nice drifter, I would carry a 12 gauge slug gun in my boat like the Maine Lobsterman do. Heck I probably wouldn't have to shoot his boat full of holes...just the sound of a pump gun being racked usually sends 'em packn!

AA

FLYFSN
05-04-2007, 07:57 PM
What kind of boat was he in, did you get the numbers from his boat? I fish the river and have not had any trouble.

bkschiavon
05-05-2007, 11:18 PM
As some one who spinfishes regularly, I can say that I've had more than my fair share of run-ins with just these sort of people. Besides the fact that I release every fish I catch, I also fish with artificial lures. (rapalas, spinners, etc.)

This infornation however, is of little consequense to about 25% of the flyfishing community that I have come in contact with on the water. It seems to me that I recieve an unfair amount of dirty looks from flyfisherman everywhere I go, and a suprising amount of confronational remarks to boot. Most of them don't even seem to care even if they do see me throwing artificials, they just look at my rod and say "hmmmf".

What suprises me most is I am 24 years old, 6'3" 200 lbs and atheletically built and the guy that I always fish with is as tall as me, but built like a SEC linebacker. Truthfully, we are usually enjoying ourselves so much on the water that when someone makes a confontational remark to us we are so taken aback that we just laugh about it or blow it off.

I know that evey flyfishermen I have told about some of the near scrums we have gotten in always say "well that doesn't represent the majority of us" or "well they probably just thought you were a baitfishermen", but to be honest with all of you, the more people that I see ack like that it really makes me wonder.

billyspey
05-06-2007, 08:34 PM
bkschiavon
theirs plenty room for all fisherman not one group is going to catch all the fish in the river. live and let live .i have baitfished and spin fish with but i flyfish don't mean that i'am better than anyone else i just enjoy it.i like fishing for walleye ,,bass, bluegill,crappie, carp not always with flyrod. my daddy use to say their an *** in every crowd.

OLDBEAU
05-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Fishing Is An All American Sport. Not All Americans Have A Masters Degree And Smoke A Pipe. Not All Americans Have A Forth Grade Education And Spit Into A Cup.
Many Americans Love Getting On The Water As Relaxation And To Spend Time With Their Children Or Grandchildren.
Just Enjoy Nature And Get Along With Other Americans.....no Matter What They Use To Catch Fish. Catching Fish Is Fun...and You Know It! You Would Not Be Here If You Didn't Love The Sport.
Treat Others Like You Would Like To Be Treated....especially When Relaxing...

bkschiavon
05-06-2007, 11:15 PM
bkschiavon
theirs plenty room for all fisherman not one group is going to catch all the fish in the river. live and let live .i have baitfished and spin fish with but i flyfish don't mean that i'am better than anyone else i just enjoy it.i like fishing for walleye ,,bass, bluegill,crappie, carp not always with flyrod. my daddy use to say their an *** in every crowd.
I'm with you on that one, believe me when I'm fishing the last thing I ever think about is what kind of rod some other guy is fishing with. So why is it that the style of rod I use even crosses anyone elses mind while they are out there?

Gerry Romer
05-07-2007, 02:39 PM
... So why is it that the style of rod I use even crosses anyone elses mind while they are out there?

Ignorance.

Gerry

Fishermansfly
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
**************Ditto!****************

I also second Mr. Spey's comment "There's plenty of room", there's plenty of water, there's plenty of idiots out there, and yes there's always some one in the crowd to mess it up for everyone! Gainfull employment! That's the way I like to think of it! For someone out for there day of recreation that acts that way imagine how they are at their place of employment and their home enviornment! I've have seen a few familiar faces traveling the middleprong! Kill them with kindness and time will tell, trust me on that statement. The ol what goes around comes around! There's always at least one empty seat in the back of my car!

Don't spend your free day getting mad at some idiot, just worry about catching something that'll bite!