PDA

View Full Version : Camping at #23 Fish camp prong

tennswede
05-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Good Lordy I would like to tell y'all about a miserable experience and at the same time interesting. I and tngreg went up to campsite #23 on Friday morning hoping that the scattered showers the meteorologists were talking about would not hit us. The rain didn't really hit us bad on Friday, but bad enough to make it just about impossible to cook anything to eat when we got up there. We settled for cold snacks and some tea. I fished Fish Camp from about 5 pm to 7 pm on Friday night and caught 4 bow's and 2 brookies and lost a few. The water level was alright but rising and becoming slightly stained. I heard and saw thunder and lighting and decided to quit and walk back to camp. Greg had treated some water for the evening and we drank some tea and settled in for the night.

I haven't camped in a tent or for that matter any kind of camping since my army days back in Sweden in 1987. I felt rusty and a little bit cold when we settled in but not too bad. Then the rain hit. It came down steady between the hours of 2 am and 4 am. Then it quit and I thought maybe just maybe we would have a good Saturday fishing. We got up around 7 am and the clouds moved in, I told Greg that I didn't think it was worth staying another night when it looks like it is going to rain for several hours. We listened to the radio and they were saying 90% chance of rain and that made it for us. The hike back out was pure misery. The rain began a mile down the Goshen Prong Trail and it didn't let up the whole way. Soaking wet to the point where I had to lay out my few dollar bills from my bill fold to dry. I had a rain suit but I guess perspiration from underneath did it. I am dead tired and sore from 13.5 miles rt in 24 hours of time. I wonder how many years in to the future I can do crazy stuff like this.

Fishing Notes: I saw some yellow sallies around 6 pm on upper Fish Camp Prong but nothing else. The water felt to be in the mid fifties, I didn't check with a thermometer.

DryFly1
05-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey Hans,

Your probably lucky you got out when you did. Trying to ford the stream at BC #23 on the way out after a hard rain can be a bugger in high water conditions. Somtimes mother nature just has other ideas for us! I actually like hiking in the rain. Just put a bag over the pack,strip down to tee-shirt,boots and shorts and enjoy the smoky mountain rain. It's much cooler and comfortable. I'm a little odd like that!

BTW- Your never too old! I plan on hiking and fishing those BC streams until the good lord gives me a one way ticket!

Better luck next time. Mark....

tennswede
05-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Nah,you are not odd, it sound a lot better your way. We did put some bags over or packs but the problem was that I decided on putting on a rain suit and I perspired more from wearing that suit and it made it miserable on the way out. Oh well, I'm home and alright that is all that matters. The benefit of this trip was the exercise and maybe my cholesterol went down a little bit.

MtnMike
05-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey guys,

I was on the North Carolina side of the park Thursday-Saturday. We had good weather on Thursday and most of Friday. The rain moved in Friday evening and we too broke camp and hiked out in the rain on Saturday. We hiked about 20 miles over the 3 days plus wading and fishing. I'm only 38 but my parnter is 60 and he was carrying a pretty heavy pack. So, keep walking and stay fit and you will be able to do this for some time to come.

tennswede
05-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Mtn Mike: Yeah! we had bad luck. The weather is so unpredictable this time of year. I needed the hike to get back in shape, I turned 40 this past winter and I have been known among my friends to be somewhat fit. I don't know what happened this past winter but I don't feel as strong as I used to be. I had a physical last month and everything was fine except elevated cholesterol. Oh well, I think I just needed this jumpstart after my vertigo attack on Abrams last Sunday.

Footnote, I lost a pretty good sized Brookie on my third cast Friday evening, nothing to write home about but he was definitely a keeper.

ijsouth
05-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Sounds like an ill-fated camping trip a buddy and I did back when we were kids. It was just the swamp behind my house, but it rained then, too...then, I got bitten by something that swelled my eye completely shut - I looked like I had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson in his prime. My parents took me to the emergency room, and a couple of shots later, my eye went back to normal.

Now, they're building houses back there - unbelievable. Anyway - glad to hear that y'all made it back ok; it's one thing to slog through rain here where it's flat - it's another when you're heading down a (literally) slippery slope. Hopefully, long-term, the rains will help the water levels.

mmorgan135
05-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Sounds like you had a similar experience to the one I had in Tellico last spring break. It rained for two days straight and never let up. My buddy was in a tent and I was in my Hennesy Hammock and everything of mine stayed bone dry. I have the extra large rain fly that comes with it and its big enough to sit and cook under. You should look into them, everyone that has ever seen mine had purchased one and says that they would never sleep in a tent again.

Rog 1
05-07-2007, 09:23 AM
I can feel your misery....had camped up on Rough Creek when it started raining the second night before we had time to cook anything....rained hard for the next 12 hours...almost got stuck up there....used to be you had to ford the creek at the FC fork and if the rains were hard that could be a hard crossing....try carrying one of those cheap throw away ponchos....they will cover your pack and will keep you pretty dry without all the sweating.