PDA

View Full Version : deep creek report #2

ttas67
05-07-2007, 01:03 AM
met plateau angler this morning and we headed for my favorite water, deep creek. water levels were high, but very fishable. after messing around with an adams for an hour and no rises, PA convinced me to do a little nymphing. by they way, david is an expert with the nymphs. seems everytime I go fishing with him, while I'm messing around with different dries, he's pulling up fish left and right. so I tied on a tellico and dropped one of Mr. Hartsell's famous SMBBSH off the end to make for a deadly combo. I'm not so skilled with nymphs and wet flies, and after missing several strikes, finally landed a decent brown. fishing overall was pretty slow on deep creek and they would NOT take a dry. we left and headed for little river. there we got into insane hatching. there must have been 10 different types of mayflies and yellow stones hatching. I caught a few and david caught many. I know at least two different times he had on a monster brown and lost them.

now for the good part. we fished until dark thirty, and then departed. he's camping, so he heads back to his campsite, and I take off out the wears valley exit to head back to knoxville. while driving down wears valley I just happen to notice that the temp gauge on my car is in the red zone. OH NO! I'm on a little road, it's pitch black out, nowhere to pull over, and my phone is completely dead. I turned on the heat to try and pull some heat off the engine, but my car would only blow cold air. I knew I had to make it to townsend. once in townsend, I thought my car was on fire. I pulled it into the IGA, and emerged out of my car into a cloud of smoke which was billowing from my engine. I left my smoldering car and headed into the IGA to use the phone. who would I call? naturally, there was only one person to call. Dad. I told him my car was shot, and he said I'll come check it out. "but I'm in townsend." I tell you, I've really got a great father. he didn't give me any flack and came all the way up there (an hour drive) and saved the day. turns out the radiator was leaking like crazy. we filled it up, and with him following me, I was able to make it back without blowing my car up, but we had to stop half way and fill it up again.

so the fishing was pretty good, and my car tore up. I guess things can't always go your way.

Kevin_Thomas
05-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Glad your car is OK. I didn't fish yesterday, but I might go this evening. My hope is that the water drops a little, but still has some color. Keep working the nymphs... it will get better.

ijsouth
05-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Glad to hear you got out of things ok. I've had an engine overheat, and it always seems to happen at the wrong time (I guess there never is a right time).

I see the flies are still mixed up - a variety pack hatches every day.

David Knapp
05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Wow! Too bad that the car isn't doing so well...I had a similar experience out west on a fishing trip. I pulled into my campsite and opened the door and heard a hissing noise...:eek: Had to get a new radiator put in...:frown: The fishing was good that trip though so I can't complain...

Anyway, here are some pictures from the day...
A Deep Creek 'bow...
http://photo.ringo.com/210/210503677O182985591.jpg

Trevor's brown...
http://photo.ringo.com/210/210503697O600746465.jpg

http://photo.ringo.com/210/210503712O568223585.jpg

It was a nice day out on the water and I really liked Deep Creek. Ever since my trip into the upper part last year, I've been wanting to fish the lower part and it is a beautiful stream. I'll definitely be heading over there again, hopefully soon...

ttas67
05-08-2007, 06:44 PM
that's a good lookin guy in that picture.

Paula Begley
05-08-2007, 07:12 PM
that's a good lookin guy in that picture.

HAHAHA! I need to check the rules and tos...is shameless self promotion banned here? :p

Paula

ttas67
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
oh, I was talking about the fish.