PDA

View Full Version : blue sky furled leaders

Troutman
05-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Has anyone tried out these leaders on bigger topwater flies yet? I understand they work pretty well with small dries but wondered how they work with bass bugs. I'm thinking about getting one for a 6wt and 8wt rod and throwing size 8 and larger poppers and wiggle minnows. Any info appreciated.

Woody
05-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Have a 6 wt, when rigged for shad, stripers and smallies I use one all the time. The roll out for me very nice. Pull about a 5 foot lenght of 2x tippet from its spool, and a away I go. In the long run I thinks its cheeper than purchaseing leaders. I don't use it when going after trout in the park with smaller rods and very fine leaders.

Troutman
05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks Woody, I went by LRO earlier today and purchased a 6-8wt medium leader. I noticed on the Blue Sky site, they recommend tying a 6-8" extender onto the tip loop with a perfection loop on it. You then tie your tippet section to it. Can't wait to see how it cast a big fly. I may have to do some "yard fishin" this afternoon at home!

Rog 1
05-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I crossed over into this new territory last year....found a source for furled leaders that has them for 2/3/4 wt. lines....they are only 5.5 ft. long....used them mostly with 6x tippet about 2 ft long.....did not seem to make much difference in fishing.....biggest difference was in $$$$ saved on leaders and time....liked not having to pull out a new leader or having to work to add to an old one....fished with mostly 12-16 dries and will be using them again this year.

Troutman
05-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Tried out the new furled leader last night. It works great! I put it on my 6wt bass rod. I added a 6" piece of 0x tippet with a perfection loop as an extender and then tied on a 2ft length of 2x and finally a 2.5ft section of 3x. It made the leader around 10-11ft long. It turned over a size 6 stinger popping bug with no problems. So far I recommend using them, but we'll see how long they last. I need to do some more "field testing"!:biggrin:

Woody
05-09-2007, 03:11 PM
They will last a long long,long time. Mine shows ware at the tip where I attached the tippet. But after reading your post, a perfection loop makes alot of sence. I never was one to read the instrution maunal on anything.