PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

Flat Fly n
05-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I have the next 5 days off!!!!!

Seeing how East Tennessee has about 1000 miles of freshwater fishing to do, the decison on where and how to spend my fishing time is perplexing.

Should one pursue the striped bass, trout, or smallies? How about some help here? That's is the toughest question during the spring in East TN that drives me crazy. Crank the boat or wade, clausers, wooly buggers, PTNs, or comparaduns? Clinch, S. Holston, Holston, Little River, got any suggestions?

Flat Fly'n

ttas67
05-09-2007, 02:50 PM
while the fishing opportunities around here are excellent, I personally would take a trip somewhere out of state if I had 5 days off. I'd probably go to PA.

Troutman
05-09-2007, 04:49 PM
If I had a boat to run the rivers, I would be on the Holston and fish for the white bass, smallies and crappie right now. Something for fun and something for dinner! After a couple of days, I would go up to Watauga and S. Holston and spend a day on each. Last day I would start early and fish for a Smokies slam somewhere in the park. Deep Creek or LR.

kevlar
05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
The Clinch has been fishing great the pat couple of weeks. I would spend at least an afternoon down around the jail.

DryFly1
05-09-2007, 08:31 PM
This one is very easy.

5 days= Back Country in the GSM! It just doesn't get any better......

Mark...

Paula Begley
05-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Are you really sure you don't want to just play some golfs? :biggrin:

Paula

ijsouth
05-09-2007, 10:54 PM
I would pick one type of fishing, and maximize my time. While they all might be fun, if you try to do them all, you'll end up rushing around and not enjoying anything. Pick a favorite, and go do that. For me, that would be finding an isolated, overgrown stream with tight casting conditions - the farther off the beaten path, the better.

Flat Fly n
05-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Tonight below Melton Hill. Lots of white bass, but the stripers were small. A tailwater tomorrow.........ain't East TN fun.

Jswitow
05-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Well Flat,
How was day # 2. What sort of adventure did you manage to find. Any big bends in the fly rods? Let's hear about it?
Tight lines,
John

psnapp
05-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Paula -- with this very "politically incorrect" response, you are banned from posting for 1 week! And, I'm sure Byron would agree with me!

Are you really sure you don't want to just play some golfs? :biggrin:

Paula

Flat Fly n
05-11-2007, 08:36 AM
BTW.......What is golf? Is that the game that 100 year old women can hit a hole in one? The game that makes old men useful and young men useless?

For Jswitow,
Fished the Clinch yesterday by the jail with the gracious help from the church parking lot. I did see one disturbing thing. Someone just drove past the far lot and along side the river into the hayfield to get down the river. Maybe they have permission, but hopefully this will not be a trend. I remember parking at then the Piggly Wiggly and walking down the drainage ditch or along the railroad track just to fish that section years ago. Please just park in the lot and take the 1-2 minute hike to the river.

A very small hatch came off for about 20 min. just to see some rises. We only fished about 2 hours due to some pre and post honeydo's on both our parts. Both of us touched about 7-8 fish and LDR'd more. One clump of grass I pulled up had no lie about 40 sulphur nymphs in it. It was on a log and free of silt, the other stuff that had silt in it had few to no nymphs. No big fish seen, or caught, but then again I wasn't at work.

Heading back to the stripers and white bass today AFTER I get my blackberry fixed or replaced. Yes, I took my first baptism in years yesterday, the one day I forgot to bring a plactic bag for my phone!! I got home and vacuum sealed it in rice and left overnight. It cut on this am, recieved and made calls and now has died again!! Maybe from the rice kernals that are inside the device!

Anybody know of a waterproof bag, device, or why doesn't someone just make a vest with a waterproof container built into it?

Flat Fly'n

Paula Begley
05-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Paula -- with this very "politically incorrect" response, you are banned from posting for 1 week! And, I'm sure Byron would agree with me!

:eek:

Heh....nice try. :biggrin:

Paula

Grumpy
05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Man, those golf bats are expensive, stick with the fishing.

Grumpy