PDA

View Full Version : fishing around cosby

mud dauber
05-10-2007, 06:37 PM
i need a little help me and my friend are coming down and are going to fish aroud cosby just need a little info about the area thanks.

tennswede
05-10-2007, 06:49 PM
well, You have of course Cosby Creek running in to the park and climbing the hills. It is a somewhat tight and narrow creek but okay to fish.

If you go towards gatlinburg for about 15 miles you will run in to Pittman Ctr and you can fish Middle Prong of Little Pigeon River in the Greenbrier area. Big Creek is over in North Carolina and would be reachable in 45 minutes or so from Cosby.

These are the spots in the smokies. Others can pitch in with other spots.

ijsouth
05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm almost hesitant to reply on this thread...I really love Cosby Creek - I've had a blast just about every time I've fished it. Of course, I have a brookie fetish, and it is just a dynamite stream for them. I haven't fished the lower sections (other than a few courtesy casts on my way out one time), right before it flows out of the park - there are rainbows in that section, but even there the stream isn't very big. It is EXTREMELY tight in places - if you don't like an ever-present tree canopy, it isn't the stream for you. Also, since the brookies dominate from the parking areas on up, you aren't likely to catch a very big fish. But, if you want a chance at some brookies without a lot of hiking, this is your stream.

As Hans said above, Big Creek isn't too far away. I made the drive on Hwy 32 a few weeks ago after fishing Cosby; I was headed for I-40 to get to the other side of the park. That road is a lot of fun, if you like a lot of switchbacks, etc. The last mile or so is unpaved, but it isn't bad. I didn't turn into the Big Creek area, but it looked like a few people were camping in there. From what I read, it is a much larger stream than Cosby.

mud dauber
05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
thank you for the info i think were going to fish above the campground and try for some brookies. We find come to the mountains a change we fish the tail waters around the tri cities and are doing well have seen some really big fish over the 20" range. Once again thanks for the info