PDA

View Full Version : Wet Wadding

Vern
05-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Coming up next weekend and try to decide what to bring. Have any of you been wet wadding? Still having pain in my recently healed broken foot and wadding sandals are a lot less painful to hike and wade in. And the cold water sure fells good on a swelling foot ater a hour hike.

MtnMike
05-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey Vern,

I fished last Thursday-Saturday on Forney Creek and was wet wading all three days. Now to be fair I did not use a Sandal. I wore a pair of Chota wet wading socks and my Chota boots. Water was 56-58 all three days and I was perfectly comfortable.

Vern
05-10-2007, 09:44 PM
I will wear my wadding boots with neoprene socks if it's too cold, but at that temp I can usualy use my kroker sandals. carring another pair of soles is a lot better than a pair of boots.

Gerry Romer
05-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Wet wading in LR East Prong and Middle Prong last three times out. Same as Mike - Chota wading socks. No problems. I prfer wet wading any day!

Gerry

ijsouth
05-10-2007, 09:56 PM
I wet-waded a few weeks ago - Simms boots and socks - no worries. I even took a bad step in the Middle Prong and did the backstroke - it wasn't bad.

BTW - I just got a digital thermometer. I tried it out tonight in the waters of Lake Ponchartrain - the surface temp was about 84.

David Knapp
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Wet wading is fine except for the late evening hatches. I wet waded until after sunset last weekend and the water/air combination got a bit chilly. It is very doable but if you have a low tolerance for cold then you might want to have an alternative.

Jswitow
05-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey unless you are riding the old gray dog bring the waders. If you don't you'll wish you had! Mtn Mike how was Forney? I have never fish Forney or Noland, spent very little time on Deep for that matter.
Best, (and apologies for hijacking the thread)
John

ijsouth
05-10-2007, 11:51 PM
I have to admit, taking that dunk, then immediately getting in the car and driving home for 9 hours wasn't the greatest combination. If it had happened a month earlier, I probably would have been in a bit of trouble.

However, I surprised myself - the water felt pretty good overall - not bad for a bayou boy with thin blood.

Vern
05-12-2007, 12:02 PM
I always bring the waders just in case. But there is so much going on this week I have to pack this weekend. Forgot where my sandals are and i like hiking on the better trails in them. Have to stop and remove gravel sometimes when hiking but with my problematic feet and the the fact that that the one foot that was a 10 1/2 is now a 11 1/2 the sandals are less confining.