PDA

View Full Version : Green Weenie Tactics

ccmmcc
05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I thought maybe you all wouldn't mind sharing your favorite way of fishing the green weenie. Maybe I can learn something. Mostly I fish it with a little split shot, like a nymph. I have tried fishing it without weight and it kind of floats below the surface, but I have never had much luck.

kytroutman
05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I have always fished with a split shot. I also tie some with a red beadhead. In of themselves, they are too light to sink to attract trout. Try a split shot to get them near the bottom.

Kevin_Thomas
05-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Drop it 14" behind a #14 Yellow Stim and hang on!!!

scflyfisher
05-11-2007, 01:54 PM
I've fished it both ways with success. I prefer using a little shot to fish it deeper. However, if you can find fish in slower smoother water, then I will cast to that type of fish with no added weight and I can watch it for the take. I'm sure it boils down some to personal preference and confidence.

Matt

ccmmcc
05-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Redc4man,

When you use it as a dropper, do you put some split shot on? If not, doesn't it just kind of float behind the dry?

Kevin_Thomas
05-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Bead Head usually gets it down. When I fish that combo I drop it in pocket water and slower runs. If I were going to fish it in faster water I would trail it behind a #10 or #12 Tellico. I try to avoid split shot unless I'm throwing a streamer...

Griff
05-11-2007, 06:54 PM
You have to hang a few in the trees and bushes surrounding your favorite holes. These are your decoys and they hold the fish in the holes until you are able to come back and catch them.

I like to fish the green weenie un-weighted as a dropper, I feel like it makes the fly have a more natural action.