PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Abrams Creek on friday...

StayLow
05-12-2007, 01:15 PM
really bought home how critical the upright position is to my technique. I fell at least 6 times (fish to fall ratio not good 6/7)...not slipped, fell. From here on, I'll be the guy out there with spikes and a bicycle helmet because the felt alone just didn't cut it.

Also has has enyone fished the gourge below Abrams Falls? I hiked to the falls and thought I would walk alittle further then hop in. A mile and a half later, the creek and the path finally allowed it. Its hard to imagine that stretch getting much if any fishing pressure.

Woody
05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
If your fishing below the falls it might be best to come up from the camp grounds off Happy Hollow Road, verses comming at it from the Cades Cove loop road. You can hit the water much earlier. Also at times the traffic on the loop road rivals that of Washington DC during rush hour. I believe they block off the loop road untill 8 or maybe 10 to allow bikes free access

Barbara
05-16-2007, 08:16 PM
I've been reading reports on how slick Abrams Creek is. Why is it worse than the other streams in GSMNP?

DryFly1
05-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Barbara,

Siltation from it's passage through the cove. The presence of cattle exacerbated the problem but I'm not sure if the cattle are still in the cove. I have not seen any the last 2-3 times I have been there. Maybe someone else knows if they are still around.

* I guess I should mention the really nasty angle of the rocks with silt on top of them. Ouch! Like walking on ice...... Having said all this, it is an excellent stream!!!

Mark...

Dancing Bear
05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
The rocks in the bed are slanted and slick.It is not bowling ball rocks like the freestone streams. I've only fished it a few times and I've done "the dance" every time. I always feel like I'm gripping with my toes and anything else that will hang on when I wade it.

TFnut
05-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I would think it would be from the limestone formations which would tend to promote the growth of algae and more aquatic plants. This would probably also be tied to the prolific nature of the insect hatches (Green Drakes mainly hatch here right??)

Just a thought.

TFnut

Vern
05-16-2007, 10:30 PM
The cattle are no longer in the cove. I don't remember for sure but its been a few years since they have been there. There was an lease from some of the former farmers that farmed there when the park was formed. this least was like the elkmont leases and the Walker sisters that expired when the last living orginal owner passed away. That is why the park service is doing the prescribed burns to keep some of the fields intact.