PDA

View Full Version : Interesting morning!

Hugh Hartsell
05-13-2007, 07:56 AM
I rarely, if ever post a fishing report about a client that I have taken out on this bulletin board, but I thought that this instance would give some encouragement to new flyfishermen in the Smokies. This is what you hope will happen on each and every trip, but it actually a rare instance to take place on our mountain streams. The big fish are really more plentiful than you might think, but actully hooking one on your first trip doesn't happen too often.
I had the pleasure of guiding Greg Williams from Lexington, KY. yesterday, and we started with casting and mending skills for about 1/2 hour in the Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area. This is a normal thing, to be sure that a client is able to handle a flyrod well enough on the stream when we actually start fishing. I had tied a Stimulator on to his leader for the practice session and worked through all the steps to help make proper casts and mends from all directions. We had finished that and he looked like he was ready to do some actual fishing. We only moved downstream about50-75yards to a series of runs and riffles. I placed Greg in the lower part of this section and he started working back upstream, while I watched and gave instructions from about 20yards away. He moved about 30ft. up the river and I saw a seam with a darker color underneath a large rock that looked like a good holding area. I told him to cast just above this rock and let it float back thru the seam, and he did. On his second cast the fly was coming back downstream, right beside the large rock and a huge brown came up and took his fly. Instantly, I shouted "jerk" and he set the hook. The beautiful fish felt the hook and catapulted out of the water, turning a complete flip in the air. It was as big around as my forearm and as long as, from my fingertips, to my elbow. We both estimated the fish to be about 20 in. long. When the fish did the cartwheel in the air, it came down on the leader and broke the 5X tippet like it was nothing. It went upstream and came out of the water again trying to throw the fly. What a beautiful creature! Greg had the good fortune to experience what few anglers ever do on their first trip out. He finished the day catching several fish that were a little closer to the normal size. I wish that we could have recorded it on the camera, but it all happened in a flash. It is now just memories and I hope there will be some encouragement to all of you who seek this beautiful creation.
Hugh Hartsell---for Greg Williams

Kevin_Thomas
05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Wow! That's pretty cool... I didn't fair so well yesterday. I caught one and then got a real bad headache. I came home and slept from 1:00-9:00, then back to bed at 11:00. It was nice to run into you, thanks again! ;) I may go this evening, but I'm guessing there will be a crowd at Metcalf!!!

Kevin