PDA

View Full Version : Oops - I did it again!! Croc Wading

Gerry Romer
05-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Got a late start to the park today. Had to run by LRO and pick up my tickets to next Friday's Troutfest shindig. Halfway there I realize I'd left my vest hanging in the closet. Turn around and head back to Maryville to get the vest. Call Daniel and arrange for him to leave the tickets in a "secure" location.

Pull into LRO at about 5:30 and scare the s*** out of Paula who's coming out the side door in her late afternoon gardening mode. (Paula's been working her you-know-what off gussying up the place before y'all descend on Townsend next weekend, so you better say somethin' nice to her!) Got my tickets, gave Paula my check and headed out towards Elkmont.

There's a spot below Elkmont I fish quite a bit. I know there's some good size fish in there. I had one on Friday afternoon. My personal best brown in the park - but no pics. I actually had him halfway in the net when he spun out and snapped my 6x Frog Hair in two! Unfortunately, he took the half with my BHPT with him:frown: . So I thought I'd go back and hunt him down.

I get to my spot and start gearing up when I realize that I don't have the soles to my Korkers! Yep... I can picture them, clear as day, hanging in the utility sink in the laundry room. Right where I'd put them Friday night when I cleaned them. Korkers really are great boots - but only if you remember to put the soles back in...

Crocs to the rescue again!! I really can't recommend it, but if you have to, Croc wading CAN be done. In fact, I found that since the neoprene booties on my SIMMS waders are thicker than my Chota wading booties, I can cram my Crocs on and get pretty good traction. I put my Crocs on, grabbed my gear and headed downstream about 500 - 600 yards so I could work my way back up to where I'd lost my brown by the time the hatches started coming off. Did a little wading - gingerly - and found a big open pool where I could try some of Byron's cross-body casting. I think that's gonna take some more work.

Worked my way up to the head of the pool and started fishing the run coming into the pool. I'm only about ankle deep in the water fishing a size 12 Madame X with a size 16 BHPT dropper about 24 " back. Second cast into the run got this nice little bow....
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/EPSN1278.jpg

Not bad... he took the dry and rolled up the dropper.

Continued to wade a bit more upstream and fish the run with the same dry and dropper. Next thing I know, I've got a brown on the dropper. Strange thing is, the brown that I had on Friday also hit the dropper... Hmmmmmmm.

Anyway, here's the brown.http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/EPSN1280.jpg

I fished on up for a couple hundred yards and finally reached the hole where my brown broke me off. By then it was almost too dark to safely Croc wade. I threw a few half-hearted casts anyway and proceeded to feed my rig to a tree. I didn't like this very much so I used what little light was left to wade across the stream and retrieve my rig. I also pulled about 5' of somebody else's tippet out of the same branch and shoved it in my vest to bring home.

Byron, I'm telling you, that checklist could make some serious money... one of us needs to get a patent on it

Woody
05-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Very nice fish & photos. One day I ll figure out how to post photos.

ijsouth
05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Woody,

It's pretty simple...first, you have to upload your pictures to some sort of hosting service, like photobucket. This service will give you an URL path for your pictures, something like this:

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/ijsouth/....something.jpg

where "something.jpg" is the photo you want to post.

Then, when you make a post here on LRO, you just surround this path with the tag. Just key in a tag, then the path to your picture, then end it with . In fact, with photobucket, you don't even have to do that much; they include a path with the IMG tags already - all you have to do is copy and paste the link.

You'll get something like this:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/ijsouth/ponch3.jpg

Deedub
05-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah...I've Croc waded and I don't have Crocs anymore.

I was on the Duck river in Columbia just messing around and decided to cross the river.

Slipped on a rock...didn't fall...but one flew in the air and off my foot. While I'm trying to reach it with my rod...I slip again and the other one falls off.

So now I'm going barefoot back to where I started...falling a couple of times along the way and some "Good ole boys" are on the bank laughing their head off and one of them is recording it with his cell phone!!

A highlight indeed.

Woody
05-14-2007, 04:16 PM
ijsouth,

Thanks, It sounds simple, I'll give it a try

DryFly1
05-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Hey Gary,

Are you receiving kickbacks from the all this "croc" advertising? Or are they getting ready to launch a "WADING CROC"? Not a bad idea now that I think about it? GREAT PICS...

BTW- I'm a big fan of the "croc"

Mark...

Rog 1
05-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Has the video made it to YouTube yet.....you may now be famous and recognized by all the next time you "hit" the water.