PDA

View Full Version : Fishing this weekend

flyinby
05-14-2007, 05:05 PM
I'll be bringing a group of men from our church this Frdiay & Saturday to fly fish the Smokies. Really looking forward to it. We did this last Fall and had a great time...not many fish, but lots of fun.

Since we don't get to fish the Smokies that often, and since we want this to be as good a fishing experience as possible, I need the valuable insight of some of you regulars who fish these streams.

Here are our details: we'll be staying in Smokemont. Some will go to the Cherokee reservation on Saturday; some may elect to fish for native fish.

What flies are working now?
Are there any hatches happening right now?
Is Cherokee reservation worth the fishing?
What about the creeks around Smokemont? Bradley Fork? Deep Creek, etc.

I know some of you work hard for this info, so I appreciate very much any insight you can give.

Thanks in advance.

DryFly1
05-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Flyinby,

Smokemont is an excellent basecamp and provides many angling opportunities. This time of year you will not be alone and hiking in a few miles will allow more elbow room and solitude. The streams you mentioned are excellent streams and don't over look the feeder streams. You really can't go wrong fishing any stream in the area.

What flies to use? If you have been reading the board lately there have been some great reports. Anything yellow should produce fish. Take a look at the fishing report and suggested flies.

Cherokee?- I really don't know. I don't fish the area.

Hatches? Hard to say, Look for sulfur's, lt cahill, yellow stonefly, possible green drake or maybe caddis..

Good luck and have fun! Maybe others have some better ideas..

Mark...

Waterborn
05-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Though I don't get to the NC side as much as I should, there is great fishing through out and a few minutes hike away up from the campground will put you on some l good water and less traffic.... the Oconaluftee fishes well to and can give you guys some room to air out - great access along its length down to Cherokee...
As for flies, yellow as Mark mentioned, is a good start in stimilator/caddis and mayfly patterns...I'd drop a pheasant tail or green weenie off the bigger flies and increase my odds...have some basics as well i.e parachute adam etc...
I get to Cherokee once in a while, mainly to take my inlaws who want to catch a mess of fish to eat...they stock heavily and often. Being stockies, they'll eat just about anything, but a #14 bh pheasant tail works great....funny though, last spring, I was there with my brother in law explaining to him how these fish are put 'n take and their differences to wild mountain trout - a nice caddis hatch came off and the fish went crazy, catching our limit on a dry fly...I wasn't expecting that, so foot in mouth and he learned how to cast a dry vs. a nymph that day...
There is a fly shop there to get your tribal permit ( the only thing you'll need - no other license) most gas stations will have them too and a stream map...
If you want a treat, I'd say make some time for those Cherokee trout , go back to camp - fry some bacon and slaps some corn-mealed (add garlic salt, pepper, and a touch of paprika) skinned trout on the grease and have the best fish fry ever....

flyinby
05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the reports. I'm excited about trying NC side...especially for the native trout. I love pool hopping!

Funny story...last Fall we took our guys on this trip and planned a fish fry on Saturday night. We took along all the necessities to fry the fish with all the trimmin's. Problem is...we caught fish, but only two were keepers. However, on the way back from Greenbrier to Elkmont, we stop in Gatlinburg to get some groceries. A guy on our trip, who's from Wisconsin, recommended Brats. Being from the deep south, I'd not expereinced Brats.

Well, we had some of the best food I've ever eaten. Brats, kraut, onions, fried taters, beans...it was some kinda good. Of course, we'd been fishing all day and we were really hungry!!

Hope our experience is different this time!

Troutman
05-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Black wooly buggers work well on reservation water and so do the packaged Joe's flies. They have a little inline spinner with a #0 or #1 spoon. You can cast them with a flyrod also. Those stockers like the flash.
Bradley Fork is a favorite stream to fish and is a good location for a smokies slam. Try dragging a lite weight yallerhammer wetfly behind a large stimulator.

kytroutman
05-15-2007, 03:48 PM
From flyinby:
"Well, we had some of the best food I've ever eaten. Brats, kraut, onions, fried taters, beans...it was some kinda good. Of course, we'd been fishing all day and we were really hungry!!"

Sounds like you guys could have had a Blazing Saddles campfire scene with that menu.;-)

Actually, there are a number of great streams around Cherokee and the Maggie Valley area. Do some research to avoid the ones being over fished. The stockers on the reservation are fun to catch and will hit almost anything.

Enjoy your trip.

WNCFLY
05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
If your staying in smokemont you can walk the trail in the campground up bradley fork. Its a pretty easy trail and if you walk far enough you will come into brookies.

David Knapp
05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Tellico nymphs in the park....