PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday fishing above Elkmont

Barbara
05-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Jack and I arrived Monday. Checked at LRO, Paula was on her hands & knees planting flowers. That place is looking beautiful, thanks to her hard work. Does Byron appreciate you, Paula?

Tuesday am we drove to Elkmont. Hiked what seemed like miles up Little River Trail and I fished the likely looking spots. From 10:30 to 2:30 the fish were very interested in my fly/nymph combo, then in the afternoon things slacked off. Most of the fish hit the green weenie trailer, a few hit the fly. Got 6 to hand, lost several, and had lots of hit/miss. I think my fly was too big but I wanted to use the weenie and the smaller flies didn't work so well with it. The best fish was a rainbow that jumped 3 times, the first jump was impossibly high!

We probably went a bit further than we should have, our leg muscles were protesting on the way back! Also, I was helping Jack with his backpack, holding my rod. I should have put it down. The nymph was right against my forearm. I raised my arm and managed to hook myself big time. It is very hard to be mad, in pain and feel stupid all at the same time.

I have always wondered if I hooked myself deep would I be able to push the hook thru and crimp it so it would pull back out. The answer is Yes. If I decide to give up my day job, I can get a new job at the Mall as a body piercer! :eek:

DryFly1
05-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the report Barbara. All things considered,catching fish makes up for any and all misery experienced on a day of fishing!

At least you didn't have to rescue Jack this time.:biggrin:

Mark....

David Knapp
05-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Nice report! I'm hoping to fish that area in the next day or two. Good reason to go barbless is so when (not if...:rolleyes:) you hook yourself, it comes out easily. It happens to everyone at some point...

Barbara
05-16-2007, 08:05 PM
At least you didn't have to rescue Jack this time.:biggrin:

Mark....

This time he was ready to rescue me! :smile:

Barbara
05-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Good reason to go barbless is so when (not if...:rolleyes:) you hook yourself, it comes out easily. It happens to everyone at some point...

That is the worst I ever hooked myself and I wasn't even fishing when I did it, how dumb!
If you fish that area a lot, could you tell me how far up I would have to go to catch a brookie? I thought I might get one Tues but none. Is that area not high enough for brook trout?

Dancing Bear
05-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I think you have to go up close to camp site #23. It is about 7-8 miles up there from the trail head. We've been close but not that far. We didn't catch any brookies either. We were at #24 and I don't think that is far enough.

David Knapp
05-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Barbara, check your PM's...

Vern
05-16-2007, 10:49 PM
I have fished up toward camp site 23. I was about a mile away from the camp site and had a bear convnce me to turn around. He didn't want to share the stream at all. huffing a growling made me give way, he never came out of the laurals. I have seen a few bears but never had one carry on like that. But, I caught several bows, but no brookies. How much farther up?

tennswede
05-17-2007, 07:52 AM
I have caught brookies about a mile below campsite #23 on Fish Camp Prong.

Rog 1
05-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Even high above Elkmont you need to think natural barriers.....put on your walking shoes and head up above Rough Creek.....don't stop until you run out of trail....this is now a whole day trip.