PDA

View Full Version : Fire's Creek

Dancing Bear
05-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Does anyone have any input on Fire's in NC? I've been researching it but can't find much info. I can be in the water there from my home in Ga in less than 2 hours and I would like to try it out. PM's will be good if you prefer.

kytroutman
05-17-2007, 09:08 AM
DB, from the state's website. http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nfnc_fishing/fires_creek_area.htm

Fires Creek

The upper portions of Fires creek ands all tributaries are managed by the NCWRC under Wild trout regulations (Above the lower gameland boundary on USFS Road 442.) In all wild trout waters the minimum length limit is 7 inches and the creel limit is 4 trout per day. Only artificial lures with one single hook may be used. The lower reaches of Fires Creek are hatchery supported trout waters. Hatchery supported waters are stocked periodically in order to sustain fishing. In hatchery supported waters there is no size limit or bait restrictions. The creel limit is seven trout per day.

Species Present: Brook trout (hatchery supported), and rainbow and brown trout (both hatchery-raised and wild) are found in Fires Creek.

Seasons: The Wild trout sections of Fires Creek are open to fishing year-round, while the hatchery supported trout waters are open every month except March.

The easiest access is from Murphy, NC. It's been a while since I fished there but I remember a lot of horse trail riders on the lower sections on the trails.

Dancing Bear
05-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks KYT. I will access it from Murphy. I'm going in a couple of weeks to check it out.

Jswitow
05-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I have a friend who used to live in Blue Ridge. He used to fish Fires fairly often and liked it. Said the fishing was good and usually he had it to himself.
Give us a report, I would like to hit it sometime as well. I think there may be a bear sanctuary there as well, though my memory could be rusty.
Best,
John