PDA

View Full Version : Sugarlands Trail

Barbara
05-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Has anyone gone down the Old Sugarlands Trail? Can I fish along there? On my map it looks like the trail goes close to the stream. I'm looking for a place Jack can hike and I can fish all at the same time.

Vern
05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I have hiked the trail to the old Surgland grave yard and ccc camp. It does run next to the river but i have never fished it from that side. I is a very intresting hike if you have the Book Historic Hikes of The Smokeys. I have fished coming in from the other side by walking down some of the quite walkways. alot of bouldering.

Hugh Hartsell
05-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Barb, you can fish up the trail but it is a little steeper on that side than if you approach it from the quiet walkways side. It will go up so far and there will be a crossover where an old bridge used to be that followed the Sugarland Trail up the mountain. Caught a 16 in. rainbow in there many years ago when it used to be the Sportsmans Stream.

Hugh

Barbara
05-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Hugh,

To get to these "walkways", are you saying cross the bridge and then fish the other side of the stream? Or is there another trail/road I should use to get to the other side?

Barbara

Vern
05-16-2007, 10:55 PM
The quite walk way are off New found Gap road. Hugh i have never been able to find the bridge. According to the The grid maps its is a jeep way that leads to an old grave yard. is that the same one?

Hugh Hartsell
05-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Barb, the first walkway starts pretty low along Hwy 441, not too far above the road that turns at the Sugarland Visitor Center. This trail snakes thru old house sites and other former buildings, and along the edge of the creek. I believe the next one is the turnin to where the old Sugarland Trail comes from the creek and goes across Hwy441. Then, there are several more that you come to as you go on up the mountain. These are just walking trails and they skirt the creek and go beside an old wagon trail that used to go up and across the mountain. You don't have to go very far up until the creek becomes pretty rough with lots of huge boulders and strong steep gradient. It is perfect pocket water and plunge pools. Have fun, but be careful.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Vern
05-16-2007, 11:14 PM
That is one of my favorite places in the park. But like Hugh says there are some large boulders that have plunge pools. I like basicly laying over the boulders and doodling a dry in the small pools. But on a busy weekend there can be a lot of rock throwing and kids climing on thr boulders scaring the trout. This is also the place where that Croc work OK when you forget your wadding boots. But took a dunking because they are a little slicker than felt.

Hugh Hartsell
05-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Vern, if there was ever any kind of bridge there, it was washed away or taken up and completely removed. All the signs of it were gone when I was a teenager, almost 100 years ago. I assume that there was a bridge because the banks on both sides are high and the road bed goes right up to the edge of the banks on both sides.
Hugh

Vern
05-16-2007, 11:18 PM
That maybe why I can't find it.;) How far does the old road go, always wanted to follow it but never have.

Rog 1
05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Can't believe there is someone else here would remembers the term "Sportsman's Stream"....still love to fish that stretch in the fall .... used to be that you could not keep anything in there that was less than 16"....in those days 50-60 fish days were the norm.....can still be good but very dangerous in high water....have seen more bears along this river than anywhere else in the park...

Woody
05-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Likewise I have fished there and it has been very productive. There are section that require some athletic ability. Dont climb any higher then your comfortable doing. Different subject: Years ago I was much further up stream. I was with a very young 20 something guide. He had climbed up and perched himself on a boulder, easliy 25 to 30 foot in there air. He straddeled the pinnical of the boulder like he was riding a horse, Rod held high with line rolling out. Something to see an image I will never forget. How's the saying go; Youth is wasted on the young.

sammcdonald
05-17-2007, 08:19 PM
this trail actually goes into roaring fork. the digression to the cemetery and the gated road to the right near the cemetery are old jeep roads. that gated road (generous term) leads back to the river. there is evidence of major hog activity and i actually found a small hog skeleton there once.
sam

Barbara
05-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I read the map stuff about wild hogs in the park and wondered if there were any still around. Very interesting, Sam.

Stonefly
05-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Speaking of hogs, anyone see the New Hogzilla website? Unbelievable.

sb