PDA

View Full Version : Not a great day

Barbara
05-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Today was not a great fishing day. I started at Medcalf Bottoms late, it was just beautiful, and not one strike on anything I tried. Added a dropper green weenie, nothing. A nice man named Pat came along, said he had some luck fishing the riffles. He gave me 2 beautiful flies he had tied himself, light Cahills, I believe. A well-done dry fly is a work of art.

That said, I moved to fast water, no strikes and broke off the green weenie in a tree. By now I was completely out of sorts, climbed up the bank, got my husband and his hiking stick to retrieve the weenie. He pulled the branch down, I found 2 other nymphs but never found the green weenie! That tree ate it just to spite me!

Lunch, then drove to Elkmont. Fished my favorite pool and the riffles above it. Nothing. Changed to nymph, nothing. Went to Little River trail, finally caught one rainbow on a nymph yellow thing I have no idea what it is called. Went on up LRT and had one decent strike which I missed. Said a bad word and drove home.

To make the day just perfect, the camper lights are out. The battery or the power converter? Don't have a clue. I expect the toilet to blow up any minute.

Why do we fish? Why will I go fishing again tomorrow?

Hugh Hartsell
05-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Barb, I'm sorry that you didn't have such a great day catching fish today, but I know it was a pretty good one if you were able to be out in the mountains and in the stream at this time of the year.
I fished Beaverdam Creek today where the Green Drakes are hatching and I only saw one Green Drake Dun hatch off. I started fishing a tandem rig setup with a Lt. Cahill Nymph and a Blackbird. The fish were feeding but they only wanted the Lt. Cahill Nymph right on the bottom. This was my annual pilrimage to Beaverdam Creek and I always enjoy it. What a great day to be on the water.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Paula Begley
05-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Barbara

We fish to get away from the possible exploding toilets, of course! :smile:

Sorry you had a less than stellar day.

Paula

Green Weenie
05-18-2007, 07:52 AM
"He pulled the branch down, I found 2 other nymphs but never found the green weenie! That tree ate it just to spite me!"

HA! That's why you never have to worry about losing flies in the park...just pull down a likely-looking tree limb (usually located over a very 'trouty-looking' hole) and "voila" you're back in business!

Nharrier
05-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Barbara, thanks for finding my nymphs. You didn't by chance retrieve my elk hair caddis over at Elkmont. If you get a chance I have a few flies over at Tremont!

fishlicker
05-18-2007, 12:18 PM
I feel your pain...yeah, except for the exploding potty. :) Last week I (hopefully) broke out of my year-long catching slump by catching 4 small brookies in about 10 minutes of casting. Of course, the downside is that ten minutes was all I got to fish. But! At least I caught some fish and a fish per minute ratio that ain't half bad( even if they were 4 inchers! :) ).
Also, to add to your yellow nymph thing, the weekend before last the only decent trout I caught was ona bright yellow thing - looks like a prince, but uwith a flashy yellow body and purple collar around the beadhead. Go figure. :)

I hope I haven't spread aronud my skunk-cooties here! :) LOL

And I tell you what - I was at work yesterday! ick! The reason I fish is because I like to trick something and yell " WHOA! I AM ONE SMART COOKIE!". Fishing is the only place I can do that - ummmh, and that's only if the fish cooperate! hmmm.....well, that's depressing. :) hahaha

Barbara
05-18-2007, 10:05 PM
I meant to go to Sugarlands today but with camper trouble, decided to go to Metcalf Bottom for half a day. First hour was slow then started getting some strikes, mostly misses. Had one good fish on but he ran to fast water and the hook pulled out.

I was almost to the bridge when a rainbow hit my Madame X. He did not jump just headed to fast water and bulled his head and body. Everytime I got him to shallow water he made another run. What power! I remembered what Hugh Hartsell told me about "horsing" a good fish and even tho I was afraid he would pull the hook and be gone, I let him run.

I am here to tell you that prayer works!! I landed that fish and a couple eating lunch came down to see it and the nice lady took 2 pictures for me. My hands were shaking and I actually dropped the fish after the first picture. Luckily the rainbow was as shook up as I was and just floated for a second and I scooped him up for another picture. It is the biggest trout I have caught, which I realize isn't saying much since I just started trout fishing recently, but still.....I took him to slow water and held him awhile til he came to and swam away.

I have been fishing for over 45 years. Everytime I land a good fish I get the buck fever shakes just like I did when I caught my first bream years ago.

And THAT is why I fish......:biggrin:

Gerry Romer
05-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks Barbara!! One of the best reports I've read in a long, long time.

Gerry

Hugh Hartsell
05-19-2007, 05:35 AM
Congratulations Barb, on having a great day and catching such a nice fish. Those are memories that you'll hold on to for a long time to come. I wish you many more days like this one.
Hugh

woody55
05-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Barbara, I will be in the smokies on last weekend of May. Just the thought of a bad day on the water, if there is such a thing sounds great. From your post, I have spent many days on the water catching numerous fish. That's when you think you have it figured out, then the next day the "Tout gods" bring you back to earth and you are fishless again.
Just an FYI, I had one summer when I had to remove 3 hooks, one was a 24 that was at emergency clinic. Still fished all day until the clinic was ready to close. What a great day.
WW

Barbara
05-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I had to go back to the world the day after the big fish. My computer promptly died so today is the first day I've seen the board.

Woody, that was the worst self-hook I've had. Had a near miss years ago baiting trot lines on the Kentucky River. Luckily my Dad was running the boat and keeping a close eye on my baiting and he kept it from being too bad. Since then I've had a healthy respect for those hooks! But it only takes a second of distraction to put one where it should not be. It is about as embarrassing as it is painful.

Should get my pictures back any day. Hope they turn out. Oh how I wish I was fishing today.....:frown: