PDA

View Full Version : Epic Day

David Knapp
05-19-2007, 12:52 AM
I was fortunate enough to be able to sneak in a trip to the Smokies over the last couple of days. Today I fished above Elkmont and had my personal best day ever. The action was nonstop, mainly on dries but I caught a few on nymphs at times as well. Best flies were easily a yellow stimulator and the foam wing yellow sally recommended by Daniel at LRO.

Had two crazy things happen today. The first was when I was sitting in camp taking it easy this morning. I was enjoying the warmth of the early morning fire when suddenly I realized, there was something special about today. I just knew I was going to have a good day in the catching department. The other crazy thing happened when I started hiking. About a half to one mile into the hike, I knew :eek: that I would see a bear for the first time during a fishing/hiking daytrip. It was one of those convincing things were you really don't have room to doubt it and sure enough, after I started hiking back after fishing I came upon a large bear in the middle of the trail...true story!

Anyway, here are a few pictures...

A rainbow comes to hand...
http://photo.ringo.com/212/212420837O189882561.jpg

One of several beautiful brookies...
http://photo.ringo.com/212/212420863O646645751.jpg

Nice little brownie...
http://photo.ringo.com/212/212420951O979796137.jpg

One of the most colorful rainbows I've seen...
http://photo.ringo.com/212/212420949O926830724.jpg

The lunch "pool"...
http://photo.ringo.com/212/212420899O573501370.jpg

It was a great day!!!

ttas67
05-19-2007, 06:50 AM
nice fish! looks like you pulled off the slam! now, where's the picture of the bear?

Stonefly
05-19-2007, 09:03 AM
PA -

That's one of the prettier browns I've seen. Love your photos!

sb

David Knapp
05-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Trevor, I didn't get close enough for a decent shot so I didn't bother... The bear had me nervous for a while because he was hanging out in the middle of the trail and wasn't moving more than 10 feet from it. It was late enough I didn't have lots of time to spare waiting. I started whistling and then waved my arms so he could see me (bears don't have great eyesight) and then he finally took off.

Waterborn
05-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Great report and pics - wish I had the time to do some camping this spring...haven't seen a bear this year yet, though I past some tourist that were obviously rubbernecking at one near the chimneys when I was trying or my slam couple of weeks ago...it be nice to carry a fast zoom lens to catch the pics of bears and what not, but don't want to tow the extra weight around...

lauxier
05-19-2007, 03:42 PM
a great post---the pics were great too--the pre-fishing and pre-bear vibes?
--wish I had 'em--you are lucky--or maybe the mountains are communicating with you....

David Knapp
05-20-2007, 03:10 PM
maybe the mountains are communicating with you....

Probably what happens to people that have spent too much time in the mountains...:rolleyes:

buckeyetrouter
05-20-2007, 04:54 PM
is it possible to spend too much time in the mountains?????? I'd like to know that feeling, but it's hard to imagine. Maybe after retirement and Abby and I have relocate..........got me dreaming now .......

buckeyetrouter

DryFly1
05-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I was enjoying the warmth of the early morning fire when suddenly I realized, there was something special about today. !!

That's called a kinship with the mountain. Many people are more concerned about trying to tame the mountian. The senses are much more heightened when we simply listen! That's why I talk so much about the backcountry.

Great post and pics... Mark...

WNCFLY
05-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Plateau what kind of camera do you use? Very good quality I have to say.

David Knapp
05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I recently got a Pentax Optio W30. It is decent although I tweak nearly all my pictures...

ttas67
05-22-2007, 11:45 PM
he has software that allows him to double the length of the fish.

Fishermansfly
05-23-2007, 03:04 AM
I have seen the before pics....trust me there's defenately some photoshopp'n goin on there! Cropping of the can of corn and the worms in the background! Shame on you...

No all jokes aside that camera is awesome! I overspent and went with the Sony DSC-N2 with the touch screen 10MG Pixels. Around $450 for the camera and $100 for the card....Ouch! It takes fantastic pictures but it's tempermental with lighting and it's not waterproof! By the looks of PA's photo's I wish I would have opted for the Olympus waterproof cam. It takes some sweet pictures...

PA u really do take some good pictures!

WNCFLY
05-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Plateau,

I had a Fuji digital camera that I dropped in the river a few weeks ago and now its working at about 3/4 capacity. Are these cameras legit when it comes to being waterproof? I get tired of having to dig mine out of a sandwich bag and then having to strap it to my hand before snapping a pic of that special fish. I hate to have the fish out of the water for more then a few seconds. If you dont mind me asking, what is the price of the camera and the card? Thanks

David Knapp
05-23-2007, 09:04 AM
These cameras are definitely waterproof. I have used mine for underwater pictures several times and it works great. Example...

http://photo.ringo.com/204/204540149O942006447.jpg

The one thing is that the manufacturer (at least for the Pentax camera) recommends sending the camera in once a year to replace the waterproof packing. These leads me to believe that they aren't very sure it will stay waterproof beyond a year. It could just mean they are trying to make some money...:rolleyes: I don't intend on sending it in for repacking each year so we'll see how it keeps working a few months from now.

The camera and 2 GB memory card were under $300...

donwinn
05-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Plateau Angler,

Great pictures and report. I was in the backcountry the past weekend. I intended to give a report with pictures, but yours put mine to shame. We had a great weekend though at camp #24. The fishing was great!

Also, thanks for the info on the cameras. Did you have to get the 2gig card? How much memory with the camera?

Thanks again,

Don

WNCFLY
05-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Plateau,

Thanks for the info. That underwater pic is sweet. I will have to pick one up real soon. I am assuming I can go buy one at Best Buy or Circuit City here in Asheville. I also have one other question, when you say that you tweak your pics what are you refering too?

David Knapp
05-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I also have one other question, when you say that you tweak your pics what are you refering too?

:rolleyes: I just adjust them a bit. Light, contrast, saturation sort of stuff. Easy to do with Picasa from Google (http://picasa.google.com/#utm_source=en-us-more&utm_campaign=en-pic&utm_medium=et). Photoshop is much better for detail and stuff but I don't have time to mess with such things. I'm not on my home computer or else I would post some side by side pictures of the types of changes you can make with Picasa. If you are interested in seeing more, remind me in a couple of weeks and I'll post some pics of originals and the "new" version or I can email you some. Also, if I bothered to use my camera to its potential, I probably wouldn't have to alter them as much. It has the ability to manually adjust settings but I haven't bothered yet.

Don, were you up there Friday evening? I probably wandered past if so. I was hustling through probably a half an hour before sundown on my way out and saw a couple of guys camping at 24. Hope I left enough fish without a sore lip so you had some fun....:biggrin: About the camera, I didn't have to get a 2 gig, it was almost free though through a promotion on Amazon.com...easy choice. The camera does have a built in memory but it isn't very large of course. I don't remember right now how much...

ijsouth
05-23-2007, 11:41 PM
I have a hard enough time trying to get the wriggling fish centered in the frame. I also have a hard time keeping cheap cameras from getting soaked. I'm hard on my equipment, I guess.

donwinn
05-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Plateau,

I remember you coming out. You were moving pretty quick. I told the guy I was with that you would have to hurry to get out before dark. How far did you fish above # 24?

I think I remember you are from Crossville. Are you going to UT? I am from Livingston orginally. I have lived in Rutherford county for most of the past 20 something years.

You really do make great pictures.

David Knapp
05-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Don, I just checked my PMs and responded there... Thanks for the kind words about the pictures...