PDA

View Full Version : New from Maine

Maine Cane
05-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey all. I just found this board, and it's good timing, since we're looking at moving back to the South. I'm a bamboo rodmaker and Registered Maine Guide, and have been guiding for over twenty years. I really miss the Tellico area and the Hiwassee, but especially all of those little brookies streams in that part of the state.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the mountains are fishing.

Maine Cane

Byron Begley
05-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Maine Cane,

Welcome to the board. You will enjoy the weather here. You wouldn't happen to know James Babb would you? Jim is the editor of Gray's Sporting Journal, has written three books and lives in Searsport. His brother Walter builds cane rods here. Walter also teaches fly fishing and fly tying at our school.

Byron

David Knapp
05-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Welcome aboard!!!

Maine Cane
05-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't know Jim personally, but I've met him a couple of times. I hope the wife gets something worked out for either Knoxville or Chattanooga. The fishing and hunting are great up here, but it's overrun with with Massachusetts folk. Up here in Bangor, they refer to "The People's Republic of Portland", so many of them have moved there. No REAL barbeque, no grits, pale, weak sweet tea, the list goes on and on. I need to get back south.

ttas67
05-20-2007, 01:17 AM
welcome to the board. get back down here and get you some real food.

appalachian angler
05-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Welcome Aboard!

I am orriginally a CT Yankee with family in SW Me. It is a beautiful area, But I couldn't go back to the long winters and the lack of good food and sweet tea either! My wife, being from TN has me rooted now so come on back and get re-settled and enjoy some good trouting!

AA

DryFly1
05-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Welcome you homesick Hillbilly! Glad to have you here..

Mark.....

TroutDude
05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Welcome to the board MC.

Dude

Paula Begley
05-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Welcome aboard, Maine Cane! Nice to have you headed home!

Paula

Maine Cane
05-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the wife finding a job in her field. As for me, I'll have to see what Tennessee requires to obtain a guide's license. I figure guiding, making rods, and fishing and hunting will keep me pretty busy ;)

Byron Begley
05-22-2007, 04:14 PM
You will need a license to guide in the Great Smoky Mountians National Park. We can put you in touch with them. Guiding in the Cherokee National Forest requires a permit and they are limited. The Hiwassee River falls into that category. There is a good guide group working down there and they may need your help. We can put you in touch with them. The tailwaters in our state don't require a license yet except in the National Forests.

Byron

Maine Cane
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks Byron,
That sounds similar to what Virginia had set up. It'll depend on what offers the wife gets, since she has the real job in the family, but if we end up down there, guiding and making rods will be my job. Plus, I usually pick up a part-time job, to fill in for the slow times. I'll be keeping my Maine Guide's License, and probably bring up a couple of trips a year. I love the GSMNP and the surrounding areas, but you haven't lived unless you've had a 20"+ landlocked salmon on your favorite trout rod. Plus, I'll miss the Allagash, gotta paddle it every so often.