PDA

View Full Version : Little River Sat evening

tennswede
05-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Well, went out of the Metcalf Pavillion with Greg at about 6:15 pm. I figured we sneak out while everyone else is still eating. He He. We got on the stream just below Long Arm Bridge and what a hatch. It was thick with Pale Afternoon Dun Spinners. (Light Hendricksons). They were the heaviest I've seen in a long time. I decided to use a Sulphur dry size 14 and give it a try. I had some good fish flash in the vicinity of my fly but in the low water and cross currents, avoiding drag was the problem. I finally caught one at about 7:30 pm. It was a nice hard fighting rainbow of about 10". It was my best fish for the evening. I managed to catch four more in the 8" bracket. The last three came on a yellow stimulator. I switched because I couldn't see my sulphur in the dark.

What about Greg? He did great, he has only fished a handful of times and he is getting better each time. I nagged on him a little to get in the right position in the runs and he had waded out in a long run a little too far in my opinion. I had to eat my words a little later. Greg managed to flip the fly out somewhat and immediately had a fish splash at it. The fly was dragging a little which normally would have been a no no, but not today. The feeding activity was so immense due to the heavy spinner fall that skittering the fly made this fish mad. In his second cast the fish took. Greg had slack but the fish took good so I yelled, you got him! Set the hooooook !!!!. Greg got some line in and he had a nice fish on. Greg did a good job considering I was standing over his shoulder barking orders. It was a nice Rainbow pushing 11". I didn't have my camera. I lent it to my wife since she is on a trip out of town this week. This was the best fish for us and Greg's biggest so far on a fly. Congrats, and this day was just perfect.

Troutfest, talking to LRO staff, eating and more eating, hiking, fishing and fellowship. It is days like that when I have to sit down and think about all the nice things fly fishing has given me.

Kevin_Thomas
05-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Congrats Greg! The hatches have been impressive... Is it the low water that's making the catching so hard?

tngreg
05-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Yes, What a great evening. Got to meet some familiar as well as fine folks at the cookout! Thanks LRO!

Yep, the water was definitely low for this time of year and I think it has impacted the fishing this spring. From what Iíve heard from many, it seems the fish are there, but just not biting like they normally would this time of year. The much appreciated tips (orders) from Hans (HA HA) were great and provided me with some valuable knowledge on how to fish the pools on the GSM waters. After which I was finally able to connect on that good rainbow Hans spoke of. It was a great feeling and I can see why this sport or (lifestyle) as Hans puts it, can be addicting.

Towards the end, I told Hans to fish out the remaining pools ahead of us just before dark as I didn't want to waste the last few mins of light on a newbie (me). As sure as I reported some fish rising, I told Hans and he put that fly in the right spot for a fighting rainbow.

It was a great day indeed.
Thanks Again LRO and it was great meeting everyone!
Greg

DryFly1
05-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Great post Hans and Greg. Great to meet you and others at the cookout. Greg, I'll have to agree that it is a lifestyle, I shutter to think of it as a sport. Keep up the good work guys. Nothing better than teamwork...

Mark...