PDA

View Full Version : Where to go.

backlash
05-20-2007, 10:40 AM
I have fished in the Gatlinburg/Elkmont area before but this weekend is going to be jam packed with people being the Memorial Day weekend. We will be arriving on Thursday and leaving on Monday. I'm looking to do some fishing possibly on Thursday but mainly on Friday.

My question is : People will be everywhere, so where would be a good place to go for the lowest crowds and still be in the fish? Also is early morning better that late evening?

I very much appreciate any opinions that you want to give.

tennswede
05-20-2007, 11:10 AM
I can't emphasize enough, that if you are willing to put in an hour of hiking and preferably two hours on any given trail,you will be in solitude for the most part. I have one disclaimer though, If you do go solo, make sure you have plenty of water and be careful wading. I also think the most important thing is to make sure someone at home knows where your plans are and stick to it. If you are not back by a certain time frame they can call for help.

backlash
05-20-2007, 11:11 AM
It will be my Wife and I.

ijsouth
05-20-2007, 11:53 AM
You also might want to get out of the Gatlinburg/U.S. 441 corridor, and try some other areas of the park. You could try the Cataloochee area, if you don't mind a bit of a drive. Even though it's fairly isolated, you'll still find a number of tourists there; no worries - most of them are there to see the elk. There are a number of trails, covering a number of streams. I've only fished this area once, and that wasn't in the best of conditions - I'd love to give it another shot.

I know what you mean about the crowds; I plan on just relaxing at home - I don't want to go near a park, or a beach, or anywhere that draws people. I can battle traffic anyday.

backlash
05-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm used to fishing the caney fork river and since it is a tailwater i'm not used to fishing dry flies very much. Could someone tell me what size and color to use?

Vern
05-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Cut my ff teeth on the Caney Fork. But nothing compares to small stream Dry Fly FIshing. went this weekend with about the 100 other FF from Troutfest TU dinner and our cook out. Hiked in about 1hr and was still fishing behind several people. As a bumbling ff I still managed to catch 6 on Friday, 10 on Sat and just 2 Sunday morning. I strongly recomend hiking in deep as you can. Stop by LRO and they will help you in fly selection. I used a 14 or 16 yellow Parachute adams, yellow caddis fly same size and even caught a couple on a 12 yellow stimulator. If you go to LRO they might try to sell you a Green Weenie or Barbie doll weenie, all they catch are trees and for the good of all fly fisher when I get up there this Friday I will buy several. And I do that just to protect the members of this board from the evil of using GW and BDW.:biggrin:

ttas67
05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
don't be scared to use a plain old parachute adams. size 14-12. I caught about 15 with one in about an hour and a half on saturday.

WNCFLY
05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
don't be scared to use a plain old parachute adams. size 14-12. I caught about 15 with one in about an hour and a half on saturday.

Dido here! I caught about 40 sunday on a 14 parachute adams. This will always be the first fly I tie on in the morning.

David Knapp
05-22-2007, 08:53 PM
If you're hiking in, just pick up some yellow stimulators #14-#16 and you'll be good to go... Drop a #14-#16 BHPT off the back for double the fun...;)