PDA

View Full Version : little river report and a question

ttas67
05-21-2007, 01:13 AM
after fishing the clinch, I hit up little river again for the evening hatch. there's not a whole lot to report. lots of bugs, but I only caught 2 fish. both were browns. the first one was a solid 14"er and the second only slightly smaller. but this got me thinking. would I rather catch a bunch of 8" rainbows, or only 2 14" browns. I think I'd take the browns. which would you rather have?

Maine Cane
05-21-2007, 07:55 AM
I'll go with the brookies, just to be different :biggrin: Besides, if I catch 5 little brookies, that usually means i'm an hour or so away from any other folks, following one of those little blue lines. A day pack, a couple of fly boxes, and my favorite little bamboo rod, that's the makings of a great day.

Maine Cane

Jack M.
05-21-2007, 10:23 AM
That's a tough question. I think I need another category called "All of the above, sort of...."

If I am fishing dry flies, I'll take the 20 8 inch rainbows; if I'm forced into nymphing mode, I'll take the two big browns; as for the 6 inch brookies, I'll go for that after I've caught either 20 8 inch rainbows or 2 14 inch browns; finally, I think it might be fun to catch a tube top.

Gerry Romer
05-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey, somebody's got to vote for the lowly Smoky Mountain Visitor's Slam! Until you've had the thrill of buldogging a dead tube, you don't really know what the Smokies have to offer.

I guess the only thing that would make a SMVS perfect would be to have your picture taken by a roadside Visitor while buldoggin' that tube. :eek:

Jack, I'm thinkin' you might be on to something there with the tube top... would it have to be ON a Visitor to count??

Gerry

Sage
05-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Nothing in the world like a nice mountain brown trout. Except maybe a few mountain brown trout. But hey, I'm German, so what do you expect. It's 4:00, I think I'll go try to find 'em.

ttas67
05-22-2007, 06:43 PM
alright, looks like the browns win.