PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Smokies guide?

Dawgvet
05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I am in need of some help with my fishing. I usually do pretty well here in north Georgia streams that I've fished all my life (I'm 30 now), but my few ventures into the Smokies have been very humbling indeed. Last two trips were above Elkmont last fall and this past week in Cataloochee. I catch a few but really think I could learn alot from a local expert. Never used a guide before because I've usually done pretty well everywhere else. The Smokies have now become a bit of a personal challenge. Please recommend a good local guide that can help an experienced flyfisher master the Smokies.
Thanks,
Jed Green

pmike
05-21-2007, 01:20 PM
the Board sponser, LRO. Their reputation and customer service is beyond compare!

Mike

Dawgvet
05-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks but I was looking more for individual's names specifically. Thanks. Any more input?

T1
05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
two words, Hugh Hartsell

Gerry Romer
05-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I think what Mike's saying is that you could contact LRO and that they would be happy to give you a complete rundown of the guides they recommend - any one of whom would be highly competent. Also, there are a number of guides right here on this message board so if you just poke around a bit you'll find plenty. If you look above, under the photos, you'll also find a search link so that you can run a search of the message board for just about anything you want.

Gerry

kytroutman
05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Second Mr. Hartsell and would also recommend Tim Doyle.

Jswitow
05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I recommend you talk to LRO as well. Walter Babb (if still at it) would be one to consider. He is probably the sage of the mountain streams.
My two cents,
Good Luck,
John

PeteCz
05-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Another vote for Hugh. I've fished for years with limited success in the park and went fishing with Hugh last week and caught more in one day than I had for the last 10 times combined. Hugh's a great guy and pleasure to spend a day fishing with.

Kevin_Thomas
05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Hugh Hartsell... Tim Doyle...

Woody
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
I my less exprienced youth I have used three guides in the GSMNP. All of which are still active in the area. My personnel choice is Hugh Hartsell. I think most you who have used Hugh will agree. He is a wonderful instructor who can get you on the trout. Is knowledge is vast.

Ripmyfly
05-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Hugh Hartsell , Hugh Hartsell, Hugh Hartsell... did I mention Hugh Hartsell?