PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kits

Vern
05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Came out of the Middle Prong and stoped to talk to another ff. When this ladie came walking out with blood running down her leg. She tripped and fell face first on the trail. The ff i was talking to open his ff pack and pulled out his First aid kit, I usualy carry a small one whityh me but was try out a new orvis pack (wish I bougth the one like Byrons Fishpond) and forgot to put mine in. Her knee was so tore up that he didn't have any thing to cover it. I had both of mine in my truck, Gave her some tape and guase (can't spell).

How many of you all carry a first aid kit and do you carry anythig else like a space blanket ect?

kytroutman
05-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Personally, I carry a sportsman's first aid kit, which includes a snake bite kit, tape, band-aids, antiseptic/iodine and gauze pads.

ijsouth
05-21-2007, 09:11 PM
I need to get another one...my girls tore up my old one, playing with the band-aids. Thanks for the reminder; I need to get a few other items, too (mirror, whistles, etc).

Vern
05-22-2007, 01:03 AM
By the way budman that was the reason i was late to the cookout. would have been later but as luch would have it I drove from Treemont and didn't run into any slow driving tourons.

TroutDude
05-22-2007, 04:55 AM
I keep a complete first aid kit in the back of the car. I also have a smaller kit that I carry in the back of my pack, for hiking and trail fishing. It contains various bandages, water purification tablets, moleskin, cleansing wipes, antibiotic ointment, a roll of gauze and tape, a leatherman micra, compass, whistle, signal mirror, spare hemostats with cutters, a space blanket, and my lucky pig. I also carry a bandana and extra shoelaces. And yes my pack does way a ton.

Dude

ccmmcc
05-22-2007, 08:05 AM
If you are looking for first aid kits, I suggest Adventure Medical Kits. Here is their link: http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/ They have a very nice selection that would fit most situations.

smokyfisher
05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
I keep a sportsman first aid kit in my vest, but not a space blanket

Troutman
05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
In my real job when I'm not thinking or reading about flyfishing, I sell medical equipment. Durable medical, wound care, therapy, ortho, etc... I have built several first responder custom first aid kits for local firemen and police to carry in personal vehicles.
These are serious kits with BP, stethoscopes and severe trama products. I built myself a scaled down version for myself for basic first aid injuries and minor medical emergencies. It is similiar to the adventure medical kits but I keep the most common used items in larger quantities and added several more specialized things including EMT shears and triangular bandages, moleskin and certain medicines. One of the most used items is a small pair of tweezers and needle for splinters or removing ticks. I usually carry this in a pack if going backcountry fishing or anywhere over a mile from the vehicle. It measures about 6"x8"x4" and is easily carried. A small flat waterproof pouch can carry the minimum of a few different sizes of bandaids and antiseptic wipes that is easy enough to fit in a pocket or vest. A good quality kit is always a good idea to have around not only for fishing but also for household emergencies or weather related disasters and I recommend to everyone to get some basic first aid training, you never know when you may need to use it.

kytroutman
05-22-2007, 02:33 PM
ccmmcc, that is the sportsman first aid kit I was referring to. I just couldn't recall the company that sold them. Kits are complete and are contained in a water proof bag. They are also various sizes that will easily fit in your vest to a larger kit for your vehicle.

WNCFLY
05-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Anyone carry a Epipen for bees? This little tool could be a real life saver if you cant get immediate help. I have read to many stories about people dying from too many stings that were never alergic before.

Maine Cane
05-22-2007, 03:43 PM
In my vest, I carry a small kit that my wife, who is a RN, put together for me. For longer trips, like paddling the Allagash Waterway, or when I have larger parties, I have a bigger kit, with more meds and stabilizing gear. Lastly, I keep a "lost persons" daypack, with all of the above, a sleeping bag, space blankets, water and energy bars, better signaling equipment, etc. This is only used for a search and rescue, when I'll be running a good chance of having to spend the night out with an injured person before they can be moved out. All of my kits have Epi-pens.