PDA

View Full Version : East Prong

Gerry Romer
05-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Decided to hit the East Prong for the third day in a row. I've been kinda avoiding the East Prong for way too long. I usually cut thru Wears Cove to Metcalf and then on up to Elkmont. All to avoid the traffic and the 8+ miles of twists and curves. These past three days though, I've been looking of some different water. Now I wish I'd started working this part of the East Prong earlier in the Spring when the water was up. Now I can't wait for some rain so I can try it when it's stained. Another week or so and it'll be overrun by Visitors. (I like that word - Visitors - cause it implies a temporary nature... it's kinda like being a Target "Guest".)

Anyway, I found the stretch of water I was looking for and was wading by 4:30. A whole lotta nothin' goin' on. Except I hit a few of what appear to be common creek chubs. I say "appear to be" because I'm just not sure. Most were 4" to 5", but I got one that went a full 8"... They don't fight much. They just kinda steal my dropper and run straight downstream with it. BHPT every time and always in the fairly shallow fast water - about 10 to 12 inches deep. They're more of a pest than anything.

I'll take votes as to what this little devil is.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/EPSN1306.jpg

Around 7:15 I had rounded a good size bend in the stream and was working my way back up to my car when I stopped to change out my tippet and switch over to a size 14 yellow rubber-legged stimulator. First cast into the fast water brought a pleasant surprise - a feisty 11 1/2" brown (yeah, I just had to measure him.) :biggrin:

See how nicely he posed for me?? :rolleyes:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/EPSN1308.jpg

That was about it for the day. A few more nice hits, a few more flashes of silver, but no more to hand. So I just fished my way back to the car and made my obligatory donations to the trees. I did noticed that the smörgåsbord of hatches we've been experiencing seemed to be tailing off - at least on the East Prong. Tonight was pretty much just Yellow Sallies and some small Light Cahills. Maybe we're finally returning to normal??

Gerry

ttas67
05-22-2007, 12:50 AM
man, the browns are out in force this year. nice catch.

ijsouth
05-22-2007, 01:07 AM
Pretty fish...I guess sooner or later I'll have to go after some browns; I haven't really targeted them - maybe when I'm up there in a few weeks.

Maine Cane
05-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Jerry,
That is a fallfish. When I lived in Virginia, by Shenandoah Nat'l Park, they would make a spawning run up the South River. The females get up to 20", and the males take on a dark coloring, with reddish tones. I had many a day where a fallfish was the largest catch of the day.

BTW, nice brown!

DryFly1
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Yep, it sure seems like the year of the brown? Great report and pics

Mark...

Gerry Romer
05-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Jerry,
That is a fallfish. When I lived in Virginia, by Shenandoah Nat'l Park, they would make a spawning run up the South River. The females get up to 20", and the males take on a dark coloring, with reddish tones. I had many a day where a fallfish was the largest catch of the day.

BTW, nice brown!

Thanks for the input Kevin. Now for another question. When I released this little guy (he only went about 4 - 5 inches), he "barked" at me. :eek: That's the only word I can come up with to describe the noise - it was a very guttural, throaty, bark... Is that normal :confused:

Gerry

Maine Cane
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I can't help ya there, never had one bark at me before. Maybe it expelled some air from the swim bladder? I'm not an ichthyologist(sp), but that seems like a possibility, IMO.

Jack M.
05-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes, they do sort of croak.

ttas67
05-22-2007, 06:42 PM
when I caught that horny head chub, he did the same thing, he kinda barked and it freaked me out.