PDA

View Full Version : interesting video on the Caney Fork

Troutman
05-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Check out the newest TWRA video on fly fishing on the Caney Fork. The May 17-24 webcast highlights Frank Fiss efforts to improve this river. So when are they going to help out the Clinch? www.wildsideweekly.com

Flat Fly n
05-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Troutman,
Think that should be "highlights Frank Fiss efforts to improve HIS river."?

It will be interesting to see the reason for no new changes for the Clinch next year, when all the other tailwaters have some special regs. on it. I wonder if the boys from LUCRO bother to watch this? I believe their land would be worth more if it had a blue ribbon trout stream on it, instead of one just hanging on.

Flat Fly'n

Jswitow
05-23-2007, 10:01 PM
You know it is getting just about impossible for the TWRA folks to look the other way on the clinch. And as you mentioned Flat, it is the last river to have any regs. Hard to believe. I would have put the Clinch up against any of the rivers (with the possible exception of the S. Holston) 10 years ago. Now it might be in the top 5 of the TN tailwaters, and that is debatable.
Maybe the time is finally here.
Has the Caney been so overtaken by the Diddymo (sp?) as the Clinch? The folks at TWRA said they had not seen it effect the bugs on the Clinch. Has anyone around here seen anything different?
Thanks,
John

Troutman
05-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Deleted my comments to prevent another continuous argument over this issue. I don't want to "bash" anyone for their efforts to improve our fisheries. I hope all the comments sent to Mr. Fiss about improving the Clinch are considered for the overall benefit to everyone.

Jon
05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
TN wild side and Wild Side Weekly is a great show and webcast and a way to increase the publics awareness about the great hunting and fishing as well as outdoor activities to participate in our great state. The video about the Caney Fork shows a couple of things that are very positive. One is the agency and the corp of engineers are working together to improve the fishery by improving the water quality. The second thing is the brown trout regulations that were put on the Caney Fork a few years ago (two brown trout over 18" in your creel) by the TWRA were mentioned as well. I fish the Caney Fork on a regular basis and it has improved with the partnership of the TWRA, the Corp of Engineers, local clubs like TU, The Hendersonville Fly Fishing Club, and Middle Tennessee Fly Fishers. Everyone involved has put forth an effort to improve our home water. I do not believe this was a way for the Nashville boys to pat their own back. I think it is a step in the right direction for all the tailwaters in the state. We got much farther with both agencies when we didn't bash the folks that work for them as well.

Jon

Kingstonian
05-27-2007, 07:23 PM
I think it is a step in the right direction for all the tailwaters in the state.

Jon

Well, maybe not all of them.

Nobody resents the success that is being seen on the Caney Fork. People are frustrated that we can't get similar efforts from Nashville on improving the Clinch. It is difficult to see why the Caney Fork is heavily managed while the Clinch is currently the most under-managed tailwater in the state. No one can identify the reasoning, other than noting which movers and shakers fish where. Unfair? Perhaps. Another hypothesis on why the Clinch isn't treated the same is welcomed.

The Caney Fork story is a positive one. We'd like to see another success story here.

adamtn
05-27-2007, 09:22 PM
the clinch doesn't need a sluice gate, they have a weir dam. The caney is not that heavily managed, i very rarely see any twra guys out there during the week. I would however like to see the 18" minimum on browns in other tailwaters. They have a slot limit on the SoHo too don't they? Last month the TWRA was looking for input on their 2008 regs, i saw a link on another board.

Flat Fly n
05-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Excuse me. I was at the TWRA meeting in Clinton where Mr. Fiss stated and I quote, "I don't fish the Clinch, my homewater is the Caney".

If I had the power to control the fishing on my "homewater", AND the boys that controlled my job, and paycheck fished that area, I too would be all over making it a better trout stream.

Flat Fly'n

Realtyman
05-28-2007, 11:04 PM
I have never been to the Clinch or much less even fished it. I for one, and possibly many others, would have no problem supporting whatever it takes to improve the Clinch. I respect your point of view as far as the comparison you guys make. It's up to all of us to make improvements on whatever water we choose to call home.

Petey
05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
On the Hiwassee a couple of years ago we were able to get a new 14" brown trout reg on the Hiwassee. It is from Big Bend up to the Apalachia Powerhouse.

Here is the section from the TWRA Fishing Regs

Hiwassee River (Apalachia Powerhouse to US Forest
Service’s Big Bend Parking Area)
• 14 inch minimum length limit on brown trout
• Only 2 trout in daily creel limit may be brown trout
• See quality trout fishing areas on this page

From Big Bend down to L&N Railroad Bridge the river falls under the Quality Trout fishing protection.

Quality Trout Fishing Areas
Daily limit .................................................. .. 2 trout
Possession limit ........................................... 2 trout
Size limit ................................ 14" minimum length
• Use or possession of any bait is prohibited.
• Trout less than 14" in length may not be possessed
within Quality Trout Fishing Areas

When we intinially proposed this plan to Frank Fiss and the rest of the authorities involved we wanted the brown trout to be from 411 all the way to the Powerhouse. Knowing the temp problems our river faces during this time of drought (nine long years) our feeling was to make our fishery the best fishery it could be we needed to concentrate on Brown Trout and rely on their ability to withstand warmer temps to help cultivate a good to great brown trout fishery.

Frank was a major player, and he took a lot of heat from the people of Polk County, along with other people including TU members, guides and other local authority. He stood there in the Courthouse in front of a mad, and confused bunch of locals that fought him at ever turn and hardly let him get a word in edge wise. I guess you had to have been there to witness the complete insaneness it was but after the dust settled, comprimises were made and the Hiwassee were given special regs. After two years of stocking fingerling browns, and they still got carted off on stringers by some, we are seeing good things. We are seeing good growth and more and more healthy browns turn up. We are still a few years I feel from turning the corner being what I think the Hiwassee can be which is a blue ribbon brown trout fishery if managed right, but Frank Fiss helped us with that. He took a lot of heat and was called a lot of names.

The reason I posted this was not to come to the defense of Frank Fiss, but to point out that accross the board opposition is there from all sides. I respect what he did and the heat he took along with many other people to help the Hiwassee. It was a united front.

Does the Clinch need regs, I think so. Have I sent my letters and emails. Yes. Is there more I could do, sure, there always is. I would love to see regs on the Clinch that protected and help cultivate certain sections of the river.

I liked the piece on the Caney. I like seeing proactive solutions being put in place on Tennessee Tailwaters. I hope the Clinch is in their plans.