PDA

View Full Version : Fire in the park?

bamafly
05-23-2007, 02:55 PM
I buddy of mine said he heard on the radio that there was / is a fire in the park. Can anyone confirm this?

Paula Begley
05-23-2007, 02:58 PM
bamafly

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=6552177 That is a link to the fire story.

Paula

bamafly
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks Paula!

I hope to see you this weekend. We are coming up for a week. School is out!!

Don't know if you remember but last year around this time you found my son's stuffed animal (yellow lab) and saved it for us.

Thanks for the info!

TroutDude
05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
You can still see it on the park's webcam. Here's the link...

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmcam/grsmcam.cfm

Milton
05-23-2007, 06:06 PM
I've been checking the webcam regularly yesterday and today, and it looks like it's gotten worse. The park website says they've closed more trails, too.

-Milton

bamafisherlady
05-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, fires everywhere. Here in central/NW Alabama we have smelled the smoke and seen the terrible haze from the GA/FL fires about 400 miles away for the last couple of days. It is awful. We need some rain all over the SE in the worst possible way. We need it so bad that I don't care even if it rains while we are up in the mountains next week (just not ALL of next week, pleeease).

Paula Begley
05-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Don't know if you remember but last year around this time you found my son's stuffed animal (yellow lab) and saved it for us.

Of course I remember! Does he still tote the puppy around everywhere?

Looking forward to seeing you!

Paula

ijsouth
05-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Well, at least in the short term, it doesn't look like there's going to be any relief; in fact, the light rain that y'all got today (in spots) will disappear tomorrow - the entire Memorial Day weekend will be dry. In the meantime, down here on the bayou, we're just past the western edge of the high pressure - we're getting a steady southeast flow. Lake Ponchartrain is very high right now, and we got socked with "train effect" thunderstorms most of the day. As I watched the water pour down and puddle on the asphalt, I couldn't help thinking it was such a waste - if only it could be falling in the mountains, recharging the streams.

I did read an interesting article in my copy of Trout Magazine, which arrived yesterday. It discussed the benefits of natural fire cycles on wildlife and plantlife in general, and trout in particular. The key is avoiding a buildup of underbrush, etc. Unfortunately, from what I've read, that's what you have with this fire.