PDA

View Full Version : Survival by Giantfish

Giantfish
05-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Sorry i havent been on in a while.....well actually i have, but i couldn't think of what to say. For once i ran out of questions, but since im going fishin soon, i got alot in my mind, also since schools over you'll be seeing more of me. Now for the real thing.....My B-Day wsasnt long ago, and I got a book about wild edibles. This gave me a great topic idea.....I want to know what you guys know about wild plants, soooo. I want u to tell me 3 "common" wild edibles that we see alot. and not lettuce cuz that is grown , i mean wild. Oh and no cheating, that means don't go find a book at LRO that list edibles. Any wild plant goes. lets see how much you guys know!

Giantfish

Jack M.
05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I have an entire plot of dandelions. Come n' get-um.

ttas67
05-23-2007, 05:33 PM
walnuts, chestnuts, pecans, acorns, green onioins, blackberries.

Giantfish
05-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Good,u two are smatr, but lets make it harder, this time no berries, or nuts. Now how much do u know. Dandilions, are edible, in salads, and cooked, or as an herb. So this time no berreis or nuts.

ttas67
05-23-2007, 07:37 PM
no nuts or berries? are you trying to starve us? you could eat pokeweed. better boil it a long time though. also, sassafrass.

Giantfish
05-23-2007, 08:25 PM
You won't starve, nuts and berries arn't the only wild foods, there are plenty more. Yes those two are edible, never tried it but there edible. No one has guess the ones im thinking of though. One may even surprise you. Keep guessing!

ttas67
05-23-2007, 08:43 PM
you can eat cattails. you can also eat clover, and roses. actually, I don't know if you should eat clover, but I ate it a few times as a kid. it's not too bad.

Giantfish
05-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Clover was my other one, and you can eat it, raw or cooked, and the flowers can be used to make tea, but there is one more that is very surprising. keep guessing!

ChemEAngler
05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
How about wild onions, morel mushrooms, dandelions, watercress,.......

I also learned at a camp once that in times of extreme need one can eat the inside film from pine bark. I tried it, and it wasn't pleasant, but I have tasted things worse before.

Travis

Jack M.
05-23-2007, 09:55 PM
A friend told me the best asparagus he ever ate was actually fiddlehead ferns, just when they were young though and still coiled tightly.

http://www.gothamstudio.com/images/Vegetables/Misc._Vegetables/Fiddlehead_Fern_534.JPG

Vern
05-24-2007, 08:14 PM
When I was in college, Several years ago as Gaintfish like to say I am getting old, I was working on a double Major Botany and chemistry. So we took several field trips. On a weekend trip to Cranberry Glands in WV my Morphology professor started pulling the fungi off rocks. I asked him if we need to collect a sample. No you need to collect dinner. He took every one we collected wash them and added them to the spaghetti. fantastic. Then the next day we collected Jack in the Pulpit. part of the lilly family. He sliced off a piece and asked if I wanted to try a sample. Chewed it about 3 times and thought I had eaten a pin cushion. He hee hawed for about 5 mins and started his lecture on the plant. Also called Indian Turnip, but must be boiled for about one hour and drained to remove ----- acid (forgot the name of the acid but is a crystal). Funny now, but was not then.

DryFly1
05-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey Vern,

Reminds me of a childhood story. I was walking with my father in the woods when we happened upon a persimmon tree. He pulled one off, offered it,and I accepted. At the tender age of 6 I was a bit of a sucker and didn't see it coming. The kicker is,it was non-ripe and he knew it! Lets just say nonpalatable is an understatement! My mouth drew-up like I had taken a tablespoon of powered alum. I can still taste it like it was only yesterday. I love persimmons and think they are one of the best fruits going,but only "ripe" ones please....

Mark....

Giantfish
05-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Now I didn't know about those two! There are alot of edibles out there. I hit a tough one though, pinecones! You can eat the seed, but how to get to it, iv'e looked for the seeds but can't find them, al i get is sore hands frome peeling the cone. Also the tree that we are losing (Hemlock) makes a great tea, from what I read so we do needto save them! Don't forget about roots some of them are edible too.

Giantfish

Vern
05-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Dry Fly I fell for the same thing. Persimmons are great< I always thik I am eating a rotten fruit, but boy are they good. Paw paw grow in WVA, kind of like a banna, but don't try them untill the skin is real dark.