PDA

View Full Version : Saturday in the Park

jdwindon
05-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey, that would be a great title for a song. Anyhow, my pard & I are headed up above Tremont tomorrow and will likely be there most of the day. Hope to see lots of trout in hand and miss the coppers and timber the other thread mentioned. I'm always careful but have yet to see a single venomous on that stream. Oh yeah, the yellow foam wing things are still sold out. We'll try for them tomorrow am. It kinda reminds me of the Pet Rock craze in the early 70's, but until I fish with one, I long for one. Make sense?

mmorgan135
05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I think the band Chicago actually does have a song called Saturday in the Park...

ttas67
05-25-2007, 04:59 PM
I think he was being sarcastic.

jdwindon
05-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I gave up being sarcastic a LONG time ago. Now I just act normal, which I hope is not normal to the normals (make sense?). Anyhow, it keeps me tossing fly's and living in the most beautiful place on Earth - East TN, The GSM's and the park itself!

bamafly
05-27-2007, 09:35 PM
saw 3 snakes at tremont today..............

they got me out of the water pretty fast every time.......

Kevin_Thomas
05-27-2007, 09:47 PM
i've seen two there this year...

Paula Begley
05-27-2007, 10:02 PM
ummmmm.....or was it Memorial Day? ;)

Fished up Tremont with students today...no snakes, but an 8" rainbow by one of them and strikes galore!

I must admit, with the posts about all the snakes lately, I was watching!:biggrin:

Paula

LROjunky
05-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Seriously, I keep hearing about the critters that live in the mountains and in the same breath everyone says do not worry about it they are more scared of you than you should be of them. I have been a nervous wreck every time I have gone up there to fish. What is up there, what do they look like and what level of concern should I have? I love fishing and my family to much to die for a fish. I am just looking for honest answers so I can be prepared for whatever is up there. No Big Foot I hope!:confused:

tennswede
05-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I have fished the Smokies since 1994 and with that I mean really fished. I have only seen garter snakes and the common water snake. I don't say they are not there but unless you put your hands in crevices or hopping around logs and brush you will be fine. Using a wading staff if you have to go off trail helps also.

russ
05-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Seriously, I keep hearing about the critters that live in the mountains and in the same breath everyone says do not worry about it they are more scared of you than you should be of them. I have been a nervous wreck every time I have gone up there to fish. What is up there, what do they look like and what level of concern should I have? I love fishing and my family to much to die for a fish. I am just looking for honest answers so I can be prepared for whatever is up there. No Big Foot I hope!:confused:

There are things in the park that are too horrible to describe on a public forum. The further up stream you go, the more numerous these things that must not be named are. If I were you, i'd not venture away from the roads very far without body armor, bear spray, scatter gun, snake bite kit, m-16, grenades, cruise missiles and maybe even a tank if it will fit on the trails. To give an honest answer; you should be very afraid!

Woody
05-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Bin fishin the Park since 1974. Seen a few Rattlers, always away from the water aound teh fallen trees. Lots of bears, mostly at dusk going the other way, carry a whistle. The most dangerous things in the Park in my view are the wasps, hornets and the ROCKS. Yes rocks, Its amazing how many people are hurt each year falling from the boulder and large rocks around the various streams.

Barbara
05-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Amen brother. If you don't believe it, count the scars on my husband. 2007 was a banner year for him and slippery GSMNP rocks! You can get badly hurt in 2 seconds and if you are fishing alone, it could get serious. Hard to walk out on a broken bone.