PDA

View Full Version : The week in western N.C.

mstone
05-25-2007, 07:02 PM
I had some time off this week and spent most of it fishing some different streams in Haywood and Swain counties, plus Cherokee on the way home. Foe several years, I've wanted to fish the Tuckaseege river and explore some of the Pigeon river watershed. I enjoyed the Tuck' with its different water and sections. This river gets pounded though. Licsence plates from a lot of different places. The fish would be looking up around 8:00 till about 10:00 and then nymphs were the best choice.Then about 6:30 till 8:30, it was dry flies again. I believe I caught more brook than anything else. This is, of course, a stocked DH river. Never saw a fish bigger than one pushing about 16" but they were all fun. They need rain over there too. The best day of the week came when I ventured over to look at the Pigeon. It too is a DH stream. Beautiful stream in a out of the way area. I lost count of fish that day.....all dry flies. Some other fisherman were around, but not many. I wanted to go back my last day but I let a 75 mile round trip at $3.15 a gallon stop me and shouldn't have. I'm still amazed at the attitude of some people that don't care about the special regs on our streams. Some of the locals seem uncaring. A great weather week even though we need rain. My campsite wound up being on the Tuckeseege across from where the train wreck scene was filmed in the movie 'The Fugitive' The guy who ran the campground said they used him as a extra in that scene. On the way home I fished the Nantahala in the middle of the day and caught a few. In October I believe I'll make the trip back to Haywood county.

mstone

fishlicker
06-02-2007, 07:05 PM
mstone, you should also poke around a little further west if you enjoy wild fish at all. There's great fishing in the park on the NC side, but there's also some pretty fine fishing in the National Forests in NC if you don't mind a little hiking to get to it.
Some pics from last weekend, when my string of bad luck ended!( Hopefully for the year.)

(pic edited out by 'licker - sorry)
The above is, believe it or not, a brook trout stream. Below, one of the streams inhabitants!
http://myfishingpics.com/photopost48c/data/500/medium/awesomebrookie.jpg

mstone
06-03-2007, 04:10 PM
fishlicker,
I do enjoy the wild streams, however its gotten harder to get some of my fishing buddies to get in the back country. If I go by myself, its usually to a tailwater, or a DH stream in NC. I miss getting over in Hazel creek. That photo looks familiar to me. Thats not the Yellowstone Prong that runs off the Blue Ridge parkway above Waynesville is it?

mstone

mtnman2888
06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't know if you'll get an answer on that one! That was my guess, too, however. Great minds think alike i guess!

Craig

scflyfisher
06-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Craig,

I can't PM you to plan our trip, we'll have to figure out a way to make our plans so that we can get out soon. Are you a member of Zach Matthews' site Itinerant Angler? We could at least use that to PM and make plans. I'm just not crazy about putting my email info out in public space.

Matt

WNCFLY
06-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Fishlicker I have a pretty good idea where that pic was taken. If I am right this is one of the only areas I know of that you can drive to within minutes of a brook trout stream. There are a number of these type rivers in that watershed. I live about thirty minutes from that area and love to fish it whenever I get the chance. Just do us all a favor and don't give up the name. The reason its so good up there is the lack of people and remote area. Anyways congrats on the brookie and maybe we will run into each other one day.

If I am correct this is another stream in the same watershed close by.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/WstfrkPiogenrvr.jpg

flyman
06-04-2007, 09:09 AM
One of the most beautiful watersheds in WNC.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/fishing%20and%20misc%20flies/James-BEFP.jpg (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/fishing%20and%20misc%20flies/James-BEFP.jpg)?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/fishing%20and%20misc%20flies/Dscn1833.jpg?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/fishing%20and%20misc%20flies/Dscn1835.jpg?

BTW Fishlicker...........no campfires are allowed in this area:cool:

WNCFLY
06-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Fishlicker I just realized how much my picture above looks like your picture as well. I beleive we might have took a picture of the same spot.

mtnman2888
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
I know exactly the area you are talking about, and you're right, it is a wonderful place that not many people visit. In fact, i was up there just a couple weeks ago with some good results.

No, i am not a member of that site, but just email me at mtnman2888@yahoo.com. I'll bite the bullet and put my address up here. These are good folks on this board.

Craig

flyman
06-05-2007, 08:14 AM
No wonder I can't catch fish anymore. Looks like everybody has been fishing my "secret" place:rolleyes:

fishlicker
06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
No offense, but I would never post the real name or exact location of a stream of this caliber on the web for thousands of people to read....not even one that gets thousands of visitors a year, but few fishermen. ( cough, cough*)

but to answer your question, the creek has not been named on this thread, and also to add to that - I guess this will be the last time I post pics of good wild streams here. I didn't know there would be online guesses ast o the exact location. ( I'm half way expecting directions and maps next !?!?) The places that I fish that are like this aren't secrets. they are on every map you see...but enough folks on flyfishin' message boards( that are younger and in better shape than i am! :) ) would fish them if they knew about them that I don't ever post the names of the creeks or nearby landmarks. I might let the general area out, but normally that's about it. And for this one, all I'd say is that it's somewhere along the BRP. I would hope that anyone here would have enough respect not to "out" it, but I guess that's up to you guys.

flyman
06-05-2007, 04:41 PM
mstone- glad you had a good time. The NCDH program has been very successful.

fishlicker-Why did you remove the photos:confused: These type streams may be on a map, but they sure aren't easy to find are they? I mean some of them are so remote you could get lost with a topo map and a GPS:biggrin: I started fishing that watershed in the late 60's and I couldnt tell exactly where you were. Mainly because there are 3 or 4 feeder streams in that watershed that all look about alike.

mtnman2888
06-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I know what you mean, i hardly ever post the name of the streams i fish on. My uncle and i usually have no clue where we are going fishing, we just get out the delormes atlas or any other map and start looking for streams that are off the beaten path. Although we have struck out once or twice, more often than not it rewards us! I don't think anyone will rat you out, though.

Craig

mstone
06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Well guys, I hope I did'nt start something by taking a wild guess at fishlicker's pic's. That just closley resembled an area that my wife and I hiked into a couple of summers ago. I would say a lot of areas could look like that. My grandfather, who lived in Asheville, used to tell me stories about he and his brother poking around those high elevation streams many years back. By the time he was telling me though, his memories about exactly where he was weren't real keen. I never have figured it out. Oh well, there are enough places out there I suppose. I too am funny about relating exactly where I was. Most folks figure that they spent the time finding these places and its hard to turn around and advertise a whole lot . I just wish I could spend more time getting to the back country. Good fishing to everyone.

mstone

fishlicker
06-06-2007, 04:44 AM
mstone, you guess all you want. I just won't post pics like that! :) Don't get me wrong, friend....I'm not upset or mad at you or anyone else! I spend alot more time on my own board, where we have a " don't post, don't guess" policy and I just didn't think about it before ploppin' that picture up there.Most of the streams that are talked about here are well known. You could easily get lost on that stream. Go the wrong direction and there's nothing for miles and miles. Well, except ridges, valleys, bears, trees, creeks and wilderness. ;)

When we get into these backcountry areas, we always find the strangest stuff too - this trip, near a small waterfall of about 15 ft. we had to climb up and around the side of the thing - and at the top of a 10 ft vertical bank, we found a Viet-nam era lean-to hut and a deer stand( I say that because the deer stand was a 70's looking one and there was old style net camo over the lean-to). Last year we found a shooting table, complete with plywood top, sandbags, and a empty coleman fuel can! ( in a different location)

And just in case anyone misses it - I didn't PM or email anyone about anything. :) I just thought I'd take down the picture before someone got it right.:biggrin:

WNCFLY
06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
No offense here fishlicker. I was just trying to explain how much I love that place up there. I have explored that watershed for about 18 yrs with my father and I would be the last person who would ever give up that place. If you think about it there are alot more people that know about that area than you would like to imagine. I guarantee you there are lots of local fisherman like myself that have fished that area for years. Earlier this year mtnman2888 posted some pics of a area and I sent him a pm with the exact location. I would never give up the name of the stream your fishing because I know how much I do not want people up there. Anyways I will be going up there after work today and will give you guys a report later. Oh yeah anytime you (fishlicker) want to get together and explore some areas of that watershed just say the word. I am always game when it comes to having a fishing partner who shares the same passion. I might even show you some creeks that I KNOW very few people know about (of course I will have to blindfold you;) ). Have a good day and great fishing.

fishlicker
06-06-2007, 09:49 AM
WNC, yeah you're right. I'm not like that - the guy that thinks that I'm the only one that fishes there! But my buddy that goes with me is! But in a way, even though we both know it's not like that - there are alot fewer signs of human activity when you fish a creek with no trail access and it's a 2 mile hike in, and an hour bushwhacking down a steep, slippery hillside( with felt soles it's slick-ity-slick for sure!). No trash, no cans, no other people(usually)....and the other thing about more easily accessible areas in any part of trout country is that there are some places that lots of people know about, but few fish. In areas where waterfall viewing, hiking, and mountain biking are really popular, the trout may go pretty much unmolested most of the time! Folks over the years have argued that " everyone knows about " this place or that place, but it's not always whether an area is known or not that determines the quality of the fishin'!
For example, there's a little creek near a tourist town I know about. Someone was kind enough to show it to me years ago. If you say the name, everyone in GA that knows trout fishing knows it. But they usually only know about the lower section( which is a special regs area) or the waterfall( with it's paved hiking trail and nice viewing platforms)....hardly anyone fishes the upper part that you can't easily get to from the other areas. It's a well known stream...but not for the fishin' and I'm sure there are a couple dozen anglers( or more, who knows?) that would loe to keep it that way!

to those that fish the park and Eastern TN and WNC, that probably sounds selfish....but where I'm from, our trout water is limited, and our angling population steadily growing. Although I hear now, there may be a slight downturn in the numbers of new fisherfolk. As you know, all it takes is one movie though to cause another explosion! :)

A River Runs Through It 2 !

WNCFLY
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I absolutley agree. One area of this paticular watershed is just slammed with hikers and tourists but the fishing always seems to be good. The fish here seem less spooked because of the high number of people. I like to get off the beaten path a little and relax. I hope you come up and enjoy this area I live in and love as much as possible. I dont mind most flyfisherman because the respect the sport and handle the fish properly. Like I said before, anytime you want a fishing partner just let me know.

WNCFLY
06-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Well I made up to the watershed yesterday after work and did pretty good. I was up there for about four hours and managed about 12 fish and missed a few more. Here are a few pics.

Nice little brookie
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/JordanBrook1.jpg

A little guy
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/Jordanfirstbrrok.jpg

The top of a very large waterfall
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/GYFeildsWaterfall.jpg

fishlicker
06-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey i gotta tell you sumthin'. can you shoot me an email at owlsblueridge@yahoo.com. thanks. :)

I was up there once, but I think it was so late in the year( summer, hot, ick) that not much was going on - OR, there aren't any fish above the falls....we ran into that on the other creek - thinking that maybe there weren't any fish up there because the first few pools had nothing in them, but then they started showing up again. I guess they stay away from the big drops! :) LOL

Anyhoot, it's quite a scramble up there to get this shot! I think I have one somewhere. I'll try to find it. :)