PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland River

lensmith1
05-30-2007, 05:50 PM
I am planning my first trip to the Cumberland in two weeks. We'll be in a john boat with a 25 HP motor. Can anyone help with the best places to launch and is there a minimum number of generators we will need to be able to motor around?

Thanks in advance.

Fishermansfly
05-31-2007, 02:15 AM
All i do know is that if there's an empty slot on the boat....I can fill it for you! Seriously though have fun and catch some amazing fish....take pics and post em....and get with board member BillSpey....I think he just might be able to point you in the right direction????!!!!!

dps260
06-01-2007, 03:11 PM
My sources tell me that if you are going in a john boat with a motor go from Winfreys Ferry down or fish lower around Burkesville. My last two trips were some of the best fishing of my life. 12 inches of water sight fishing with dry flys catching 18''-22'' fish. My partner and I probably caught more fish than on any of our other trips with or without guides. Browns, rainbows and the occasional striper. Use heavy prince nymphs size 8 in the deep runs and a dry with a caddis emerger as a dropper in the shallower stuff. I have only fished from the dam down to Winfreys so I do not know alot about the area below there. Good luck and let us know how you do.

billyspey
06-01-2007, 03:44 PM
lensmith1: you may have notice my post on the outstate tailwater section. at the present time the river is extremely low and the temp. is rising so the fishery is being stress with low water high temps. if we don't get some rain soon it may be in for a problem. as for as launch sites the town of burksville has a very good public ramp. for acesss for the midsection of river, this may be your best bet being limited to a prop motor and moving around. best to motor up stream and float and fish your way back .be careful good idea to have extra prop . ck. the tva web site on water flows best fished with 1 or less generation [ good oppurtunities for wading now, lot more wadeable water]

Gerry Romer
06-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey Bill --

Where would you put in to wade? Brett just asked me (not 5 minutes ago) if I was ready fir a trip to the Cumberland and I told him I thought it wasn't wade-able.

Gerry

billyspey
06-03-2007, 02:20 PM
gerry ; let me know if you found the spot and how you did?