PDA

View Full Version : low water & tough fishing tonight

Troutman
05-30-2007, 09:55 PM
The wed. evening trip this week started off uneventful for the first hour with no smallies and just a couple of very small redbreast. I probably switched flies 6-7 times trying to get them interested. Finally, I started picking a few up, but not the sizes I was hoping for. Took picts of three fish and after the last one as I was putting it back in the waterproof case, The camera slipped and fell into the river. I quickly reached in and grabbed it but unfortunately when I did , my finger must have hit the power button because it turned on and quickly siezed up.:mad: I dropped the rod and the fish and opened up the battery compartment and pulled the SD card and the battery out. I have probably fried my camera. It is in a ziplock bag with rice right now and I guess we'll see in a few days.
Ended up with 5 smallies with the largest close to 16" and several redbreast in about 3 hours but this camera situation has made me sick. John S, hope you can make it next time! The fishing is still good but it's getting tougher with the low water.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/flies057.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/flies056.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/flies055.jpg

mmorgan135
05-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your camera. I slept in this morning because my sister had a few things that she needed help with around the apartment and stuff but I'll be up there in the morning. I went to wally world and got a few things I'm going to experiment with. I have to stop by LRO in the morning to big up some bigger tippet. I think my 4x might be alittle small for the size of some of those fishwater bonefish. :)

Fishermansfly
05-31-2007, 02:36 AM
I continually get aggravated looking at your posts....It's like a strip tease! I know I'm not the only fool trying to figure out where in the world you are on the lil river! I laugh everytime I see you post! I'm getting it narrowed down now! Beautifull fish as always though!

Now to make you sick! My buddy and I fished a tournament on Memorial day! We launched with around 100 boats at the canal at the dam on Ft Loudon $75 entry fee per boat....Make a long story short we caught and landed several 13.5 inch fish all day long and kept throwing them back! Culled close to 20 13.5 inch largemouth alone and caught one that went 16.5. Needless to say there was a discussion after throwing back so many fish after taking a long hard look at his tourney stick/measuring tape! We got back on time with the one fish and threw it out! As I'm waiting in the massive line to pick the boat out of the water I'm overwatching the wiegh in's. I'm looking at some of these guys fish (there biggest keep in mind) and I say to self. Self, why is there biggest fish smaller than the littlest we had caught all day long?

The following day, after a second discussion about the tourney stick, my compadre took a regular measuring stick and went to figure out how to properly measure using the tourney stick.....To his, and my dismay we threw back 14.5 inch fish all D@(# day long and not the 13.5 inch fish we though we had caught...to boot, we had a 17.5 inch fish in the live well!!

A fourteen inch fish will usually go for about 2 lbs to 2.5 lbs or more now add the seventeen and a half inch fish on there for around 3.5 lbs to 4 lbs. Well, lets just say i'm still a littled pissed about it because 11.4 lbs is what one the tournament which would have padded my pockets with around 4 grand split into 2......

I'm so disgusted I believe I'll quit typing now! Live and learn....I have to keep telling myself that! Yuck!!!!!

Self, remember when there's that much money on the line to have a partner who knows his own darn equipment! He know's I still love him, were both equally upset with eachother!

I'm off my soapbox!

Troutman
05-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Brett, That will probably be my last smallie report for awhile. I think everyone is tired of seeing these weekly post on warm water flyfishing. Most everyone is more interested in trout reports anyways. Unless, I get a 20" smallie or a very large largemouth I don't plan on posting anymore picts. Last night I went over 70 smallies in 2 months of fishing but the trophy size 20" smallie has eluded me. I need to start looking at some other rivers or go up north to VA or Minnesota.............Troutman

Fishermansfly
05-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Dont quit posting pics and reports I'm too closes to discovering your honey hole! I don't think anyone is sick of seeing fish on this board! I hope you didn't take my reply seriously....It's always good to see someone catching fish with a report for all to see! Keep um comin!

tngreg
05-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Sorry I haven't replied yet to your posts, but I definately enjoy your reports and pics..
I'm wanting to try wrm water fishing with my Fly Rod also, but looking for places around my house so I can get some action in after work some evenings.

Greg

Troutman
06-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Since I mentioned it on this forum about my camera catastrophe the other day. I left it in a ziplock bag with rice for a couple of days. I took it out and tried it and it Works!!! So far so good.

tngreg, Did you get my PM the other day? PM's are down so I haven't heard from you. That was the closest place I could think of to cast from the bank for smallies. A float tube and fins would increase the availability to access that area.

Brett, I will post some reports again but it may be awhile. I'm planning some float trips and vacation is coming soon also.

Kevin_Thomas
06-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Gary,

I really appreciate your posts. In fact I fished popers for the first time today largely in part because of your posts. BTW I hooked one on the first cast... Didn't land it because I pressured it a little too hard, but I got the hang of it and landed the next one. My friend Mark called it a Redeye Bass, but it looked very much like the fish in your pictures. I was using an 8' 4wt and struggled to throw the poppers acurately. I ordered a 9' 5wt from LRO that will be in next weekend. I hope that helps... I'd rather not go to a 6wt just yet.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Kevin

mmorgan135
06-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Troutman,

I tried your fly today and although I didnt bring any carp to hand I did have two take it but for some reason the hookset was lacking on my part. On the other hand the redeyes loved your fly. I tried some new water today thats below where I have told you that I was fishing. There were lots of bait fisherman out too today when I left. I did manage alot of fish today of all sizes and a couple that pushed 16 or 17 inches. I used the same popper all day and eventually it began to fall apart on the last couple of fish. I bought a cheap camera today but the battery wasnt charged so I'll have pictures hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again for the fly. You interested in selling me any more that you have. If you want to email me its s_mlmorgan@pstcc.edu

Kevin,
Are you going fishing anytime tomorrow?

Kevin_Thomas
06-03-2007, 07:44 AM
I may go this evening... My friend Mark is headed home this afternoon, so I may head out around 4 or 5.

Troutman
06-03-2007, 08:23 AM
MM135, Glad to hear the carp fly worked on something. I may try it will some cover scent. Those carp might take it better if they don't detect the human odors from handling the fly. Matt, I don't sell any flies, I just give them out occasionaly to people to try out. Redeyes are very abundant in the rivers but they aren't very good fighters are they? I've caught several this year myself.
I may fish again this week but will probably look at either new water or try to mess with the carp. I've been thinking about those Gar also!
Kevin, I usually use my 6wt. for streamers and sink tip smallie fishing but with the size of the area fish averaging 10- 15" a 5wt rod is plenty for most of the local rivers.
If you guys catch a 20" smallie, I'm going to be very jealous!

mmorgan135
06-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Troutman,

I had to pass on fishing today because of the weather so I might go a couple of mornings this week before I have to go to work. About the gar, two guys were fishing from the bank yesterday with minnows and bobbers. I was watching them from across the river and one had on a pretty decent fish. After getting it close to the bank it looked like the line broke and then a few moments later a bobber began swimming around the pool they were fishing. I asked him what it was and he said that they were fishing for smallmouth but the gar in the river made that really hard. It looked like a pretty big fish too. Let me know if you want to do any fishing this week.

Troutman
06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
MM135, I brought my 8wt. with me for this evening!!!

mmorgan135
06-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I really wanted to go this morning but I couldnt get to bed early after working last night so I couldnt make it today. But the weather doesnt look too bad for tomorrow so I promise to have a report and pictures tomorrow. I am really thinking about bringing my pontoon back up to knoxville with me this weekend. When you do your floats how do you work out the car situation if you go by yourself. If you do catch some carp tonight I want to know how you did it. The only two short hookups I had where when they were tailing in really shallow water and I came up from behind them highsticking that fly you gave me. Good luck!

Troutman
06-06-2007, 01:37 PM
If I'm floating and fishing alot of flat water by myself, I paddle upstream as far as possible sometimes dragging it through the shallow, faster areas. Sometimes , If I'm really really nice to the wife, she will drop me off and I'll float back to the truck.
Slept in huh? Plenty of time to sleep this winter! Got to fish when the fishins good! just kiddin! Guess I'm old school, I would be on the water from daylight till dark if I could.
I'm going to try for some Carp for a little while this evening, but I brought my other rods and gear also.

Troutman
06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
The river was still pretty cloudy from the rain, maybe 6-8" of visability. It made for hard sightfishing for these guys, but I finally found a couple working in the shallows and was able to get 1 to commit. caught him on my Carp bug.
I also hooked onto a 4ft Gar but after the second leap into the air it cut the line. Probably a good thing since I didn't have any needle nose pliers with me.
I also had several chase and bite my rubberband fly but couldn't get the hook in deep enough. I'm gonna tie up some mop flies for them next trip. Heres the picts I promised.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/flies059.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/flies060.jpg

mmorgan135
06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Man I am so jealous. I loaded a package tonight that was a TFO fly rod and that got me wondering how your evening turned out and by the looks of that fish, it turned out pretty good. I bet that fought like no other. Is the fly that you gave me your "carp bug"? I am going to bed early tonight and fishing until late afternoon tomorrow. I hope to have some success pictures to show you as well. I dont know exactly where that picture is but I am 99.9% sure that its above where we met....

Troutman
06-07-2007, 09:34 AM
They aint pretty, but they are fun on the fly! Thing is , that is just an average fish. I want one of those 20+ pounders. That "carp bug" is like the one I gave you. Pretty easy to tie but the hook needs to be strong. That fish was on upstream where I told you to park and access the river. The sun was at a better angle to sightfish for them up there. Downriver sections , it caused to much glare and thru a long shadow over the water to get close enough to the fish. I wish I had got that gar in, It was green backed with big spots and weighed about 10-15 pds.
I did throw a few streamers for smallies but they were tightlipped last night. They haven't setted down yet from the muddy water. Good luck if you go over the next few days. I'm taking my family camping this weekend.

Jswitow
06-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Hey Troutman,
I went fishing with a friend last night and we had little luck with the catching, but what we caught were nice ones! Let me see if I can manage to download, well I don't know how to load a picture anymore. Guess I haven't loaded any since the new website format took effect.
As soon as I figure that out I will post them. Two fish; one a 20" smallie and the other a 40' muskie! I caught the smallie, the guy I went fishing with caught the muskie!
Anyway tightlines,
John

Stonefly
06-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Wow! Was that on a fly???

sb

Jswitow
06-22-2007, 09:54 AM
No, he is not a fly fisherman. He was throwing a 5 or 6" Johnson silver minnow on a steel leader. Next time we go though I am taking a 10wt and some big flies. He turned another one a little further upriver, it followed twice but was not hooked. You can see that life is good for such a fish up there, there were loads of small redhorse suckers in the 4-9" range.
How do you post photos to this site now? http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/jswitow/VinceJeffersMuskie6-21-07.jpg . Maybe this will work? I am going to post the smallie as well, I measured the mark on my rod last night and that fish was at least 21" long. By far my best smallmouth. What a hoot, it was following a group of big carp!
Hope these pictures show up.
Best,
John

Jswitow
06-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey it worked! I forgot the smallmouth, here it is. http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/jswitow/SouthforkSmallie062007.jpg.
This fish ate a brown rabbit fur leach about 3-4" long, just inhaled it. Had I not seen it happen, I am sure I never would have felt it and the fish would have just spit it back out. As it was I set the hook as soon as he inhaled it, not sure who was more dumbfounded, me or the fish when he felt the hook.
Tight lines,
John

Troutman
07-01-2007, 09:56 AM
John, I go to Florida for a week and come back and read this! Your killin me! 21" Smallies really do exist!!!

Jswitow
07-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Troutman,
May be down your way next Tuesday, I will call you Friday or Monday. That fish spoiled me.
Best,
John

Troutman
07-10-2007, 04:52 PM
John, didn't hear from you so I'm going for a little while this evening. The water is getting extremely low in my normal spots so I'm exploring some different areas. Still up for a LR float trip?

mmorgan135
07-10-2007, 11:54 PM
TM,

I finally brought my pontoon up to Knoxville and looking to do a float trip sometime soon. I'm working two jobs this summer so time off is hard to come by. Let me know if you have any time available.

Troutman
07-11-2007, 10:25 AM
MM135, Send me an email at my contact address. Maybe we can go Sat. or Sunday afternoon.

Jswitow
07-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Troutman,
Sorry I missed you. I was down there, but didn't bring my gear. Had work to do at the house. My wife was out of town though, I should have blown it off!
Out of town this weekend, maybe one evening while we still have the sunlight.
Again my apologies, hope you had some success.
John

Troutman
07-11-2007, 02:56 PM
John, fished till about 8:30 last night and only caught 3 small smallmouth and a redbreast. The highlight was a small gar on my little 4wt. see my other post titled Mountain Piranha........TM