PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Fireflies and Elkmont

ijsouth
05-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Saw this on the park's website, for those of you who like to fish the Elkmont area:

Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials have announced the transportation schedule for visitor use during the mating period of the synchronous firefly beetles at Elkmont. The plan, coinciding with the expected peak flashing period, will be in operation from June 8-16, 2007.

In order to more safely accommodate an anticipated large turnout for this year, the City of Gatlinburg trolley service will once again operate transportation between the Sugarlands Visitor Center and the Little River Trailhead at Elkmont. The trolleys will start at 6 p.m. picking up visitors from the Sugarlands Visitor Center parking area. The trolleys will continually run until the Sugarlands Visitor Center parking area is full or until 9 p.m., whichever comes first. The last trolley to transport visitors from Elkmont to the Sugarlands Visitor Center is scheduled at 11 p.m. The cost will be $1 round trip per person.

The Gatlinburg trolley service will be the sole transportation mode for visitor access during this period; no private vehicles will be allowed at the trailhead in Elkmont. In order to accommodate the public transportation, starting at 5:30 p.m. each night June 8-16, the Elkmont entrance will be closed except to registered campers staying at Elkmont.

Link to full press release:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parknews/firefly07.htm

Younger Tom
06-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Are the fireflies only seen at Elkmont or are they found in other parts of the park? The NPS website isn't so clear on this.

Paula Begley
06-04-2007, 01:31 PM
I have heard that there is a smaller population in another location, but the larger numbers are above Elkmont.

Paula

sammcdonald
06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
there are several other areas in which these critters can be found....just find similar terrain and conditions.

Rog 1
06-06-2007, 10:24 AM
I have seen the Elkmont fire flies at work and it is magical...a couple of years ago my son and I had backpacked into campsite 24 at Rough Creek....there is a similar area where Rough Creek hugs the ridge opposite the main camping area that had a show that was twice what we had seen at Elkmont....after watching the show for close to an hour we went into the tent and the display could still be seen through the fabric of the tent....you just never know what you will find in these mountains.