PDA

View Full Version : abrams creek wednesday evening

ttas67
05-31-2007, 01:14 AM
got to LRO around 4:30 shopped, then annoyed byron and daniel for a while, not even realizing they had closed! the fisherman formerly known as red4cman saw my car on his way to the park and stopped by to see if I wanted to join him for the evening hatch. after some contemplation we decided to hit up abrams. this decision was based partly on the idea that there wouldn't be any traffic on the loop, and therefore, no deerjams. well, there were still deerjams, and one turkeyjam.

after getting there, we hiked back only a short ways, as we didn't want to get caught hiking back out in the dark. there were 2 deer right on the side of the trail. we got so close, I could've stuck my rod out and touched them. upon entering the stream, I saw a giant yellow stonefly on a tree. this guy was about an inch and a half long, not your typical "yellow sally". I didn't have anything that large, so I settled for a parachute adams, and the fish loved it. I picked up many fish, all about 8", no larger ones, though. kevin fished mainly a nymph rig, I believe, and picked up a fair amount as well. at one point we had to portage around 3 big, healthy deer that were standing in the middle of the stream drinking. I also had a snake swim right by me.

in short time we had fished our way back up to the trailhead, and realized that we'd timed it all wrong. we were out of prime water and the evening hatch was just about to get phenomenal. we got in the car and quickly headed to another nearby stream. on the way there we saw a mean looking coyote cross the road. once there we immediately started picking up fish and fished til it was almost dark. heading back down the road (in car) we came upon a large bear and 2 cubs standing right in the middle of the road! we drove up slowly within about 10 feet of them and they just sort of casually walked off to the side. that's the closest I've ever been to a bear before. on the way out of the cove we saw another bear running through the field.

the fishing was good, and the wildlife veiwing was phenomenal.

David Knapp
05-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Man, that sounds like a great evening of fishing in the cove. I'm glad that Abrams is fishing well. I'll have to get over there again sometime soon...

Kevin_Thomas
05-31-2007, 08:41 AM
It was a good time. It was also nice to try something a little different. I must say that I was shocked at the amount of traffic coming out of the cove past 9:00pm. Same old story, but the fishing was good. Trevor did forget to mention the taradacktyle (spell check off) that flew over while we were at abrams. I don't know what it was, but that bird was HUGE!

sammcdonald
05-31-2007, 09:08 AM
probably one of the giant blue herons that have rookeries down there.

sammcdonald
05-31-2007, 09:08 AM
that should be giant great blue herons

ttas67
05-31-2007, 09:25 AM
it may have been. I never actually saw it, but it came out of the woods somewhere. I just heard a loud swooshing noise and limbs breaking. my first thought was, "bear running after me!"