PDA

View Full Version : Is there another fire in Cades Cove?

Vern
05-31-2007, 03:21 PM
Been watching the fire close to little Bottoms. Up to 800 acers now. My wife said the nashville news reported a second fire close to the Cove. Is there another fire?

ijsouth
05-31-2007, 03:28 PM
You are indeed correct, sir:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_5562354,00.html

Here's the opening to the story:

GATLINBURG — A second wildfire has broken out east of the Buck Shank fire in the Abrams Creek area, Great Smoky Mountains National Park officials said today.

The park had 54 firefighters assigned to the Buck Shank fire today and found the second, separate fire in the direction of Cades Cove.

A brief period of thundershowers was reported Monday in the park, so firefighters suspect the new fire may be a natural, lightning-caused fire.

No acreage or other information was available, according to a park statement.

ttas67
06-01-2007, 12:07 AM
thunder showers? you wouldn't know it. the water is about as low as I've ever seen it.

ijsouth
06-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Yep...very ironic, a thunderstorm starting a fire. What is needed is some widespread rain, and it looks like that might finally happen over the weekend. In the meantime, we've been hammered with rain down here - front part of my subdivision flooded, with a current almost fast enough to support trout ;). It's a shame some of that water couldn't be shipped up there.

I did see some rain on the radar today, and one of the park's webcams actually had raindrops on it, so there's hope.

ttas67
06-01-2007, 01:12 AM
what's nice is that it hasn't been humid yet. I'm sure once the rains come, then the humidity will set in.

sammcdonald
06-01-2007, 08:01 PM
there are actually 4 fires west of cades cove.......two are very small and under control......there is talk of closing the back country to all fires.