PDA

View Full Version : Strange looking trout?

WNCFLY
06-01-2007, 07:15 AM
I found this picture on a fly fishing shop website here in Asheville. Last time I was in the shop I asked the manager what kind of trout it was and he called it a tiger trout. I beleive he said it was a mix between a brook and a rainbow. He said it was caught somewhere in The Pisgah National Forest. I am just curious if any of you guys have ever seen a trout like this?

Sorry for the small pics (thats as big as I could find it).
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/Tigertrout.jpg

flyman
06-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Yes that's a tiger trout. It is a cross between a female brown trout and a male brook trout. I have only seen a hand full over the years. The times I have seen them though you might catch 3 or 4 of them in the same stretch of stream. All of the ones I have seen have been caught in the GSMNP.

WNCFLY
06-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks flyman. I cant say that I have caught one of these before. I would like to see one in person now. What river have you seen them in the most?

mtnman2888
06-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I have seen pictures of these as well, although i have never caught one. I know of someone that caught one a stream in the pisgah national forest. It would definitely be neat to catch one, but i'm not holding my breath. From my understand, they are extremely rare. Flyman, sounds like you're pretty fortunate to get into that many, congrats.

Craig

Jack M.
06-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Definitely are rare as a natural occurence. Still, many commercial hatcheries have been producing them in greater abundance. Pennsylvania has been stocking greater numbers of them in recent years. I believe they are sterile, so they do not themselves reproduce; the hybridization must take place anew each generation.

southernguide
06-02-2007, 09:24 AM
that's my fish, I caught 3 of them last year. My buddies caught 3 more out of the same creek. They are in the park too.

ttas67
06-02-2007, 09:36 AM
question, is it possible for a brown and rainbow to form a hybrid? a few months ago I caught a fish on the lower section of deep creek and I honestly couldn't tell if it was a brown or a rainbow.

tennswede
06-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Trevor!

I think the consensus among ichthyologists is that Rainbow Trout and Brown Trout do not hybridize . I believe the idea is that pacific salmon species and trutta do not mix. Rainbows are related to Pacific Salmon while Brown Trout are related to Atlantic Salmon.