PDA

View Full Version : Newbee

rhfly
06-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Just became a memeber and this is my first post. I was wondering
if someone can help me on a few question about FF in the Smokies.
I am from Lakeland, TN just out side of Memphis and I will be heading
to the mountains in a week. Was wondering where would be the
best place to FF and camp. I have heard Abrams Creek is good.
Is this true? If so where on the creek is the best place to start.
Also is there anyother place that would be good but not having
to deal with the traffic jam in Cades Cove.....New at this so all
the help I can get would be great.......THANKS!

pmike
06-03-2007, 09:17 AM
They are the greatest at helping newbies. Being as close to the park as they are, they should be able to make some great suggestions on both flies and water!

Mike

buckeyetrouter
06-03-2007, 02:26 PM
ditto what Mike said, your best bet is to stop by LRO and talk to any of the guys...they can set you up with the right fly colors and types and even tell you where to fish based on your experience. Elkmont is a wonderful campgrounds, but if you want closer to Townsend there are serveral in Townsend right before you enter the park. I'm sure if you call LRO they will get you contact #'s

welcome to the board and don't forget to take pictures so you can let us know how your trip goes........good luck

buckeyetrouter

Kevin_Thomas
06-03-2007, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't go to Abrams for trip #1. Camp at Elkmont or in Townsend and fish Middle Prong or West Prong of the Little River. Yellow dries in size #14 with or without a #16 or #18 dropper Nymph. Good luck!

Woody
06-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Agree with Kevin. Believe me there are more fishing options than you will have time to explore. A must is a stop by LRO

jdwindon
06-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Abrams is a dangerous stream that is very slick. Plan on getting wet. Nice size fish I hear. I have only fished the lower (twice) becuz I hate the crowds at the cove. On the lower all I catch is smallies. I guess the redeyes are there too but have not landed one. One of these days I'll hike in from Abrams Creek Camp and fish the horsehoe and junior. Right now the fire has me pinned in on this side, so it's the car or nothing.

For your first trip I'd go above Elkmont or the West Prong. Elkmont can't be beat as far as camping either. I like being near the stream. The Cove is not near water and is always full of people. Small people that like to run & yell. And go beserk running after bears. :biggrin:

rhfly
06-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the help!! I will call and also stop by LRO. I hear the
people are great!

Gerry Romer
06-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Ditto all of the above. I would only add that Elkmont is more central to fishing more of the park. Aside from the excellent fishing at and above Elkmont, from Elkmont you can go west and have access to some great small stream fishing at Tremont and the West Prong - or you can head east and fish around and above Gatlinburg. The West Prong of the Little Pigeon River will put you onto browns, bows and brookies going from bottom to top. I'd vote for Elkmont.

Gerry Romer

rhfly
06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks, I have res a site at Elkmont and I am looking forward to fishing and learning the areea. Thanks again for all your help!

Rog 1
06-05-2007, 12:47 PM
If your campsite is on the far side of the river don't overlook Jake's Creek above where it flows into the LR....if there is enough water, the pocket pools in there can hold some nice trout....first place my son was ever allowed to fish by himself....came back having caught a 9" brown.

rhfly
06-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks, I will give it a try Sunday evening, if the water is right.
HOPE SO!! There has been some rain to my understanding so well
see...So you stated in another post to me about fishing Fish Camp Prong.
Is Fish Camp Prong 3.7 miles from Elkmont on the LR? Also what would
be the best time to fish Fish Camp Prong. If it is in the evening I am
guessing I will be hiking back in the dark, not a big deal it I do. By
the way will I encounter any bears on the hikes and if so do I need
bear spary? Never camped in bear country so this is a big learning
curve for me. Also is most of the people camping in Elkmont there
to fish or just site seeing. Is is going to be crowded fishing?

Rog 1
06-06-2007, 09:24 AM
rhfly....when I first began fishing the FishCampProng you could drive to the forks of the river and we would take off up the river when it was just light enough to see the trail....I have fished it at all times of the day with success..I have had a lot of luck when the sun first hits the stream....it is deep down in there and the direct sun is limited to mid day....last week we left camp about 8 in the morning and things were OK....there is also some good pocket water up the left fork toward Rough Creek where you stand a good chance of scoring a slam....most people in Elkmont are camping and this time of year there are a lot of kids that equals tubers....always some fishermen in the bunch and you will see them early and late....get up early one morning and fish the section from the cross over bridge up to the upper bridge....nice water and always some fish.....never seen a bear inside the campground....a lot of different opinions on bear spray....I have only seen one bear in the backwoods fishing but they are there...some say a good whistle works....strange noise....just use your eyes and nose....they smell pretty bad and you should be OK....just wish I was going back....oh, and you may be there when the fire flies are doing their magic behind the cabins...if so be sure to check this out one night...absolutely magical

rhfly
06-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Rog, thanks again I will give it a try and when I get back will post and let you know what happens.