PDA

View Full Version : West Prong of Little Pigeon River Saturday 6/2

tennswede
06-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Went to one of my favorite places. I used to fish this stream exclusively but got away from it for awhile. Boy, was it nice to be back. The weather was extremely muggy and cloudy. It looked like they had some rain Friday night but not much. The water level was as as low as I have ever seen it. I think even the drought in 1998 wasn't this bad, at least not this early in the season. Anyway, I began at 3 pm below Chimney Tops Picnic area. I fished upstream with a dry and had only about a handful of missed strikes the first hour. It was very slow due to the low water. I spooked a bunch of fish. I switched to a bh prince and caught one small bow. At around 5 pm the bug activity began picking up. I saw some Light cahill, Yellow Sallies, Olive stones etc. I began picking up fish and at 6 pm the full bug factory was going. I managed to land about 16 bows before dark. It wasn't exactly my best day on this stream but a decent one. It looks like with the elevation I was at that the hatch activity is at it's best about an hour earlier than on Little River right now. I guess it is due to water temp. The stream was a perfect 60 degrees. I had a blast but no 10 inch fish today.

This probably will be my last report for a while. I'm going to Finland on June 12 and I won't be back until 25th. I doubt I will have time to go anywhere next weekend. If I do I will sent another report. I really don't know why I'm sending in this reports. I guess I like the interaction with others when I can't fish.

buckeyetrouter
06-03-2007, 02:19 PM
good report Hans.......you will have to show me the Chimney Tops area this fall so I can get one of those brookies that you are always speaking of....

I actually caught a rainbow (holdover from fall stocking) here in Ohio this morning on something I tied up (posted pic of fly on tying part of board)

enjoy your trip, have a safe and fun time.........

buckeyetrouter

Kevin_Thomas
06-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Have a great trip Hans!

Buckeye... Next time I fish in the park I'm gonna try the GBH Weenie! I'll post pics...

tennswede
06-03-2007, 03:00 PM
buckeyetrouter:

make sure you stay away during the "fall color season" usually from about second week in October through the month. I fished yesterday to a point just shy of where you will begin picking up brookies.

You'll have to stay in touch somehow since the private messaging is out of the question now.

buckeyetrouter
06-03-2007, 04:13 PM
hey Kevin, let me know how it goes......will be interested in seeing if tlhey work for you. Do you remember those red brassies (I thinik that is what they are called) that you gave me back at the tying class? I tied up some like you did and added some rainbow flashabou to them and actually caught a rainbow in ohio with it this morning (a holdover from a fall release in our local reservoir)...I put a pic of it on the fly tying board if you want to see it.....

Hans......we usually try to get to the park in Aug and late Oct for the photo opps.......and of course fishing......

buckeyetrouter

ijsouth
06-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Hans,

I love reading the reports...it whets my appetite between visits to the Smokies. Also, since I can't gain as much experience as I would like with my limited time, it's a way for me to learn - every little piece of information helps. Have fun on your trip; you're heading out, and we're heading up there Friday night.

Let's hope the mountains get some rain.

Paula Begley
06-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Hans,

Have a wonderful trip! We will miss you!

Paula

tennswede
06-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Paula!

Yeah, I need to stay away from your establishment. I have wasted way too many hours for your staff. It dawned on me the other day that you all have a job to do, He He. Anyway, I will be back with some pictures to put on this board and hopefully some stories to tell. I'm sitting right now with a map and various finnish web sites trying to figure out where to go. I have several places in mind where I will try for Grayling. It all depends on how much my poor mother can take. I'm planning on dumping her at a shopping mall while I'm going fishing.

Gerry Romer
06-04-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm planning on dumping her at a shopping mall while I'm going fishing.

Dump Yo Momma?! :eek:

Just make sure you leave her with enough spending money:biggrin:

Have a safe trip!

Gerry

tennswede
06-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Gerry!

I guess that statement sounded a little bit harsh. I'll try again. I meant to say while my mom does her preferred activities, I will pursue trout and grayling. How does that sound?

See ya'll in a couple of weeks, plane leaving on Tuesday can't wait.

pmike
06-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Our thoughts and prayers go with you for safe travel and a rewarding time.

God Bless,
Mike

PS: Your reports as with many other who post reports,are the next best thing to being there for me! Keep on posting.

ttas67
06-07-2007, 09:42 AM
hans, have a good trip over there and take some pictures for us to see. I wish I could go to finland.