PDA

View Full Version : Private Messages and Emails

buckeyetrouter
06-03-2007, 04:29 PM
did I miss something? is the private messages down for good or just temp????

Byron Begley
06-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Bob,

At the top of each forum is a statement Paula and I made about why we removed private messages and e-mails. It is a business and liability decision we made and we intend for it to be permanent. Sorry if it is an inconvenience to you. I hope not.

Byron

MTN_TRT
06-03-2007, 06:20 PM
It says that I have 1 unread PM. Is that stating whats going on or is that something else. I cant access it. I understand why yall did that though...

Byron Begley
06-03-2007, 07:24 PM
MTN_TRT,

That is probably a private message someone sent you day before yesterday but it didn't come from us. Sorry.

Byron

Paula Begley
06-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Y'all, we really regret having to make the decision we did. We don't want it to inconvenience anyone. However, it was necessary given the issues we had uncovered.

It will be permanent. Sorry.

Paula

buckeyetrouter
06-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Paula and Byron.....I'm sure that you both kicked this around and made the hard decision. The respect that I have for you guys tells me that your decision was neccesary to maintain the integrity of this media and protect your buisness. Tlhe majority of my buisness will always be with LRO due to the respect and friendship developed. I work for a national car wash company and our corp. motto is "wake up every morning and use every ounce our your God given talent to make a positive differance in someone's day". I feel that LRO and your staff as a whole always tries to make a positive differance with everyone who walks thru your doors......I guess what I'm trying to say is that your decision is understood and respected....

buckeyetrouter
ps.....Paula, that Coyote is getting empty.....gonna have to place an order before long.....

Paula Begley
06-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I guess what I'm trying to say is that your decision is understood and respected....

You have no idea how much we appreciate that sentiment.

Paula

MTN_TRT
06-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Mr Byron and Ms Paula,
No worries w/ that PM. I probably wasnt that important (if you're reading this and sent it to me, Im sorry :) ) Aint that the way it goes in life? A few idiots have to ruin it for everybody.

flyman
06-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Now how am I going to receive all my fan mail?;)

Byron Begley
06-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Flyman,

Just call us the old fashioned way, (toll free) and I'll tell you what a great guy you are. ;)

Byron

pmike
06-04-2007, 12:39 PM
...of support for the both of you concerning this decision. While I will miss the ability it afforded us to be able to message one another or email, I also understand the situation.

I for one have found your kindness in affording us this site an incredible blessing. I also have been amazed at your generosity with regard to at times suggesting other guides than those who work with your shop or out of it directly. It is nothing short of shameful for others to abuse your courtesy and if this helps prevent them from doing so, I assure you that you have my sincere and continued support.

God Bless & Thanks,
Mike

mtnman2888
06-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Thought i'd put my $.02 in. While it is a bummer, like most people, i understand and respect your decision to do this. It's a shame that such a great service like that was abused at the expense of LRO and members of the board. It's always one person that ruins it for everyone else..... Thank you, however, for everything else that you do for us.

Craig

Dancing Bear
06-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Guys, my disappointment is in the fact that there are people on this board that would resort to such "stuff". One thing that I love about this board is the perception that people are really nice and courteous. I lurk on several boards but I don't dare post because I don't need to have a "new one" ripped for me if I ask or say something stupid. And I am apt to ask or say something stupid from time to time. Byron, Paula & Daniel, I support whatever you have to do to keep this the best danged fly fishing site out there.
Mike

Paula Begley
06-04-2007, 09:31 PM
First, let me say, we really really appreciate your support and understanding and your incredible comments. Honestly, it means so much to us.

Second, let me say, we at LRO have always had the philosophy that the free sharing of information and knowledge is a good thing. There are no stupid questions. Nobody will be demeaned for asking anything. Nobody.

Our whole point in resurrecting this board was to create an environment where you could all meet and share your tales and your knowledge (if you chose) and share your frustrations over fishless days, if you chose.

All of that can and will continue.

We are so incredibly blessed to be doing what we love; to have customers and friends like you, and to be fly fisherman who will endeavor to continually bring new fishermen into this sport so that others can feel the joy and disappointments we all feel when chasing our prey.

We all started somewhere. Some are completely self taught, but most got help from someone and the very best thing is to pass that on. We will continue to help any and all who come, either to the shop or here. We know you will too.

Paula

calebB
06-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Aw, he doesn't even respond to the fan mail he gets on other boards.:biggrin:

tngreg
06-05-2007, 09:40 PM
While your decision is respected what about the following:

1) Any suggestions if one member wants to contact another member from this board?

Updated after thought:
I guess we can use the contact info listed on the profiles..Sorry it's been a long day at the office..

I was just brain storming this because many new friendships and acquaintances have come from using this board. Especially from new members seeking someone to share there new found hobby / addiction with...

Thanks
Greg

fishlicker
06-06-2007, 04:36 AM
I understand too. While most message boards are run by part-time internet junkies, and a few by non-profits - there are those that are run by folks trying to make a living, too. I just want to make sure no one thinks I was doing anything like that - after all, I did just decide to take down that picture of a small stream because folks were taking guesses at it. But I would never use the PM or email to tell anyone how they should post, or what info they should or should not share. So you guys don't look at me.

I was however, offering to sell everything LRO sells at half price. :biggrin:
just kiddin'. :redface:

Unethical people are everywhere. I ususally just ban the offending member, but in LRO's position, if you did that, you'd just have someone else abusing it, after you ousted the first guy, and so on and so on....

I think any reasonable person can see your position and understand your decision - and hey, if they don't - well, it's not their message board anyway! It's your board and we are guests here....and most of us, i'm sure - feel very fortunate to "hang out at LRO" from home! Thanks for everything you guys do for us. You're more than our favorite flyshop.....you're family. ( and Daniel is that wierd cousin with the funny pants at all the family reunions! ;) LOL )

flyman
06-09-2007, 02:07 PM
5 Days Ago 12:03 PMByron Begley

Flyman,

Just call us the old fashioned way, (toll free) and I'll tell you what a great guy you are. ;)

Byron

Would it be OK if I just put my email in my signature so the pretty girls could keep sending me the photos.;)

Paula Begley
06-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Would it be OK if I just put my email in my signature so the pretty girls could keep sending me the photos.;)

HAHA!!! You may put your email in your signature line. We just don't want to see the photos, kthx. :biggrin:

Paula

MTN_TRT
06-09-2007, 08:57 PM
I never got any photos from pretty girls!!!! :(

Gerry Romer
06-09-2007, 10:58 PM
last we heard, you got the girl. better not get any photos!

MTN_TRT
06-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh crap...thats right. She doesnt get on here though...uh did I mention to you guys that she was blonde? :biggrin: and blue eyes? and she fished w/ me this evening? :biggrin: and she has one of those cute southern girl accents? :biggrin: