PDA

View Full Version : What flex rod for child

Hoosier
06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I guess I finally came up with a reason to post tonight. I have read the fishing reports and message boards for almost a year now, and find it a nice distraction from work. Anyway, I have an opportunity to secure three rod and reel outfits for my kids at a pretty significant discount, so I don't want to pass it up. They are still too young, 1, 5 and 6, so it is with the intention of doing so and saving them for the future. They (well the two older ones) love to fish so I am pretty sure it is a secure investment. Anyway, I am curious if you, especially those that have taught your kids to fly fish, have some advise on what flex (tip, mid, full) rod I should get for them? I will most likely go with a 8-8.5' 3 wt.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Paula Begley
06-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Children tend to be rather, shall we say, less focused. They have short attention spans...and quick responses. While we do not take children in our schools under the age of ten, generally kids do better with tip flex, or faster action rods.

Hope that helps.

Paula

Hoosier
06-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it. Yea it definitely wouldn't be until they are at least 10, 12 somewhere in there. And even then it will be mostly on the small lakes around this area. I had definitely ruled out the full but wasn't sure between the mid and tip.

pmike
06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
...to me it would seem that a slower action, fuller flex rod would be better for a kid. But having said that I have to say that as far as hook set and maybe due to some hangover from spin fishing days, I prefer a faster or at least moderately fast action rod. So when all is said and done I would agree with Paula. By the way, I'm not a kid at 51 but my reflexes are similar at this stage and in part due to not being able to spend near the time on the water that I'd like to.

Mike

PS: Make sure they are wearing eye protection to avoid any hooks as they are learning, and as they continue.