PDA

View Full Version : Big Brown & Broken Rod

russ
06-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Dad and I fished Saturday. We started hiking at 6:30 AM and walked for about 3 miles before we started fishing. I had caught 3 8" rainbows when I saw dad upstream whooping and hollaring. I went up to him and he had a huge fish in his net. It was a very, very fat 14" brown that he caught on a dry fly:eek: . He said he snuck up to the hole and threw in 2 times before he saw the fish. Then he threw one more time and the fish came out of the water he hit it so hard. The hole was about 3 feet deep and was in a pretty good current. He was really excited about it and then said he was done for the day because his rod was broken. He said while he was letting the fish tire out some the rod just went limp and he thought the fish had gotten off, then he realized that the fish was still on so he used the tip of the rod above the broken piece to pull the fish to his net. It's a 2 piece rod and it broke right above the place where the rods fit together. He said it must have been a defective spot in the rod because the fight wasn't that hard. We fished a little bit longer and then hiked back out and went to LRO. Daniel was there and they sent the rod off to get replaced. Dad bought the rod there, but he didn't have a receipt or any other proof that he bought it there but Daniel never asked anyways. Get this, Then LRO let dad borrow another rod so we could keep fishing:biggrin: . They even told us that if we fished after the store closed just to leave the rod outside by the door. We couldn't believe they would be that trusting.
We fished a little while above Tremont and continued to catch 6"-8" fish. But I got really tired so we didn't fish until dark like we planned. But I couldn't believe that Dad caught a 14" brown trout, on a dry fly, so far up. I actually caught more browns than rainbows, all on dry flies. We were using yellow salleys and yellow stimulators all day.

David Knapp
06-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Gotta love those good browns...congrats to your dad! I always enjoy those surprise fish in smaller water, keeps things exciting. Its interesting that you caught more browns than 'bows, that seems to be a recurring theme this year and one I won't be complaining about...:biggrin:

russ
06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I'd say 75% of the fish caught up high were browns. Most of the fish caught in Tremont were rainbows. There was an 8" brown caught there as well though.

What really surprised me was the brown hit a dry fly when he was in fast, deep water. The pool was at least 3' deep where dad caught him in. Plus, the smallest fish landed was 6", normally that would have been the average sized fish for that area.

rhfly
06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I am heading to Smokies this Sunday and I have never fished this area.
Can you give me some ideas on where to go. Would love to make a fishing trip into a hiking trip as well. I will do what ever it takes! I will be staying at
Elkmont campgrounds. Is Tremont near Elkmont? Thanks!!

russ
06-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Hike about 2.7 miles above Elkmont and start fishing:biggrin: . Tremont is back towards townsend. If you're leaving Elkmont campground, turn left towards townsend and go about 13 miles. Tremont is on your left. Drive to the end of the gravel road, hike for 30 minutes and start fishing.

rhfly
06-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks...look forward to fishing the area.