PDA

View Full Version : Father/Son Annual Elkmont Outing

Rog 1
06-04-2007, 05:12 PM
My 14 year old son and I made our 9th annual flyfishing outing to Elkmont last week. Set up camp at the upper end of the campground and enjoyed some wonderful weather. Probably the most amazing event was the evening hatches on the LR.....my son would fish through the campground until almost dark and would have fish striking and jumping out of the water within 2-3 feet of where he was wading. Spent several evenings on the upper bridge looking upstream and seeing fish jump clear out of the water for as far as you could see in the fading light.
The afternoon of the first day started out on a sour note...my son snapped my little Orvis One Ounce on a set and despair set in immediately....only rod he had ever fly fished with....LRO was a big help....for a small fee they shipped off the rod to Orvis and we are no awaiting the replacement for next year.....always service with a smile.
The second day we got our first taste of the Road Prong...fished the first section and only managed a few nice rainbows. Ended the day below the Chimney's picnic area and scored one of those 50 fish afternoons. My son took a liking to a custom pack rod I have and it is now his favorite rod. All the action was dry with a yellow P. Adams doing the honors.
My brother joined us on Wed. and we fished above Elkmont to the Fish Camp Prong. In one big pool below the turn around I had a huge rainbow come out of the water after my fly but missed. This was a 12-14 inch fish. Lower down we hit a hot streak with yellow stimulators that afternoon.
The rest of the trip was spent fishing the W. Prong of the LP with a good number of fish each day. All the fishing was on dry flies with a yellow EHC and a yellow P. Adams being the top producers. I did manage a couple of brookies over at Greenbrier but that is some hard fishing below the parking area.
Between the Park HQ and the Laurel Falls parking area was the big wildlife producer. Here my son caught sight of his first black bear in the wild and a coyote tracking down the wild turkeys that frequent that area.
My son fished every minute he could and never tired during any of our back country excursions. A lot of this is new to him but it just makes a Dad proud to watch his son progress and actually teach himself. One particular moment was when I looked across the river and found him hunched over and under a deadfall, making a bow and arrow cast to this one back pocket where he said he knew there would be a fish......and when he pulled one out he was very quick with a "I told you, didn't I"....greatest place in the world to watch a boy grow into a man.

buckeyetrouter
06-04-2007, 07:03 PM
hey Rog.....fantastic post, I don't think anyone could get tired of reading these types of postings. Congrats on your Father/Son fishing trip, those are some very important times spent with young ones. Sounds like you are proud as a peacock and have every right to be......congrats again

did you get any pics??

buckeyetrouter

rhfly
06-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Great post!! I am going to be staying at Elkmont next week and was wondering if you could help out on a few questions about the area. First time to fish the river and was wondering will I need waders and will I need felt soles or will rubber-cleated outsoles due, I have both. Also how is the campgrounds? Did not know what site to res so I res one on the other side of the river. Look forward to fishing Little River I hear it is great. Any
pointers? Thanks!

Paula Begley
06-04-2007, 09:44 PM
rhfly...ACK! Felt, felt, felt! Rubber and cleats are the kiss of death. :biggrin: Some people are wet-wading now, so felt soled wading boots with a neoprene bootie should be fine.

The campground at Elkmont is lovely. Remember, no power hook-ups or cable tv ;). The bathrooms are just that, bathrooms. Sinks with cold running water and toilets. No showers.

You have picked a wonderful place to stay, though...have an awesome time!

Paula

eta: Rog, That was a beautiful post.

calebB
06-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a great time at Elkmont! Some friends of mine were camping there as well last week and reported great hatches with lots of feeding fish through the evenings.

Caleb

PeteCz
06-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Rog, great post! My 17yr old son has taken to fly fishing this year and there is no better time than watching them grow and progress. Last week we were fishing in Metcalf Bottoms and a deer waded out into the stream about 50 yds in front of us. The three of us just looked at each other for what seemed like an hour (it was probably 2minutes, at most). It just felt like time stood still. He's really beginning to appreciate how special our little part of the world really is. I only wish I would have started taking him out sooner.

jdwindon
06-05-2007, 06:40 AM
I put up the hip waders three weeks ago and have wet waded since. Saturday I was in the water at 6:30 am and was not uncomfortable at all.

Rog 1
06-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Great post!! I am going to be staying at Elkmont next week and was wondering if you could help out on a few questions about the area. First time to fish the river and was wondering will I need waders and will I need felt soles or will rubber-cleated outsoles due, I have both. Also how is the campgrounds? Did not know what site to res so I res one on the other side of the river. Look forward to fishing Little River I hear it is great. Any
pointers? Thanks!

rhfly...You will absolutely love Elkmont...my favorite camping site in the Park..while we waded mostly in shorts probably the best bet would be some of those nylon fishing pants that zip off to shorts....they dry out pretty quickly and keep the bugs and briars off while out of the water.....no problem wet wading at any time of the day....last week the water was very low and the fish were very skittish....you can catch fish right in the camp ground...the stretch from the bridge at the office upstream thru the camp ground will produce fish most of the time...as with most of the water in the park the higher you hike in the less pressure you will find....I would fish a yellow parachute adams or yellow EHC in a 14 or 16.....some of the best dry fly fishing is on the Fish Camp Prong....that's a 3.7 mile walk up the LR trail...cross over the foot bridge at the fork of the river and start fishing where the stream comes back to the trail.....send me a PM if you need any more info....the tips about the felt soles are pretty much on the mark...I have also used the LLBean stealth soles up there with some success....but nothing is 100%...good luck and let us know how you do.

bamafly
06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I wet waded all week last week........

Man - I can't wait to take my son on some of those same trips!!

Good post.

flyman
06-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great time. Take him every chance you get and enjoy every minute of your time together. He will be grown and gone before you know it. I took mine from the time he was in diapers. I would carry him down to the stream in the crook of my arm and sit him on the bank to watch and net fish that I would catch, and of course throw any rocks smaller than a shotput. I remember one of the first trout he ever saw he looked at me and said "what's his name"? It's only been a couple of years ago though we were fishing together and I looked up stream and saw another angler. I said to myself, now where did that guy come from? Then it hit me, it was him, and he was grown:p

Rog 1
06-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Flyman...you are so right. When my son first started coming with me it was catching water skimmers and salamanders. Next he wanted to net all the fish I was catching. Then he started claiming my favorite tackle for his own and fishing while I was tending camp and cooking. This last trip I looked down from the trail at him fishing a pool below me, casting with a loop that made me both envious and proud and oblivious to my presence due to his total concentration to the task at hand. Too soon I fear that others may take my place but the memories will always be there to cherish.

Vern
06-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Took my 15yr old son "Gaintfish" over the holiday weekend. Tried to keep him in bigger pools that had more open casting room. If I had it to do over I would have put him in the riffles and retrived the flies out of the trees. But I was impressed how quick he learned how to do the little flip cast and rollcast. Trying to plan another trip up and camp in elkmont this summer. later July before cross counry starts. or may hike into campsite 23 or 24. For right now its almost more fun to watch him work a run than to fish it myself, but remeber Gaintfish I said almost more fun!

MTN_TRT
06-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Ok guys, you know that im 17yrs old. Flyfishing is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Now that Im driving I generally go fishing by myself. But I still think about my grandfather helping me catch my first trout on powerbait, Dad teaching my how to fish a PantherMartin through a pool, and then me taking my first fish on a fly. I love it!

I wanna say that ffing has kept me out of trouble. And ALMOST away from girls, yes I managed to snag one before school let out. She wants to fish..Im gonna take. Dont hate me fellas, blonde hair and blue eyes--naturally! :cool:
Yeah I guess she thinks my waders and old fishing shirts are sexy haha But take you sons fishing as much as possible. I dont know how to say it....its the best thing you can do for them.

WNCFLY
06-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I need one of those!! Where do you find a hot blond that likes to go fishing with you? :biggrin:

MTN_TRT
06-06-2007, 05:29 PM
WNCFLY,
Highschool. :biggrin: Just envy me....;)