PDA

View Full Version : another new guy

jeffnles1
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi all,
I've been lurking here for a while and decided to jump in.

My wife, son and I will be heading to GSMP on 6/14 for a long weekend. We will be fishing Friday and Saturday and hopefully Sunday. We plan to stop by LRO at least once (probably more) to check on the hot flies, and tips on where to fish.

I've been fishing for a long time, but my son is 12 and this is his second time out after trout. He does not have a "long" cast, but he has a very pretty cast. In fact, his technique is better than mine (just don't tell a near teenager that because he already thinks he knows everything about everything).

So, if you see a middle aged man and his 12 year old son in a red Pontiac G6 convertible getting into waders or hiking to a stream, stop by and say hello.

Looking forward to participating in this message board and being a positive addition to the community.

Jeff

Paula Begley
06-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Welcome to the board, Jeff!

If you have lurked, you know that there is an abundance of information and fun here. Hope you enjoy it.

Have a great trip to the Smokies!

Paula

jeffnles1
06-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Paula,
Thanks.
I'm looking forward to meeting you all and stopping by the shop, and with a little luck, catching a few fish.

Jeff and Daniel.

David Knapp
06-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Welcome aboard! Enjoy the Smokies trip and be sure to post a report!:cool:

jeffnles1
06-25-2007, 02:07 PM
All -
Thanks. We did get to fish and had a blast.

On Friday (6/15) went out with a local guide and caught some fish with one being a very pretty brown (about 9") and most average size bows (5-7"). I'm not much of a fish counter so I didn't keep score, but I'm pretty sure we were in the 7-10 fish range between the tow of us (my son and I).

Saturday, my son wanted to swin and float on a tube (yes, he was one of them) at the "Y". I went into town and visited LRO, bought some supplies (flies, 6X tippet, odds and ends) and headed up to Tremont.

It's crowded up there, but after a couple miles up the gravel road was able to find a few spots where I was not encroaching upon another's fishing water. I followed the "if you see them, you're too close" rule of etiquette. I pretty much fished all morning and only saw one other fisherman and he was up stream from me about 300 years on the pool right under the bridge. I went back to the car and drove a while up stream (.3 mile or so) and found another spot to fish that wasn't crowded.

I ended up catching 5 or 6 rainbows that morning. Nothing large, all in the 5" - 8" range, but fun little fish all the same. No browns this time around. We did fish a different stream with Ian (over by Elkmont) so there well may be different fish up in Tremont area.

I did manage to have several "hands free releases" (LDR's) during my trip. In fact, I probably missed more than I caught, but hey, it is all about the fun right?

Sunday morning, I had to hit the road by 11:00 so I only had a couple hours to fish in the early day. Only caught one trout that morning but it was a very pretty fish.

To say the least, I"m hnooked. I've been fly fishing warm water for a while now, but this was my first trip after trout and my boy and I are already planning our next trip over labor day weekend. I know it'll be crowded, but that is the only time I can get off work to fish.

Thanks for letting me share.

Jeff