PDA

View Full Version : Saturday in Townsend

jdwindon
06-08-2007, 07:25 AM
A couple of my Bud's & I are going to test the stocked H2O in beautiful Townsend early Saturday. We plan on hitting the water by 6:30 to avoid bobbing tourists-on-bagels for as long as possible.

One of the guys is a 42 year old disabled Vet. He was wounded while in the Army and his back is a mess. I have fished with him several times at Tremont and other Park streams but his back can't take the rocks. If he slips he torques it and the trip is over and he is horizontal, sometimes for weeks. But he loves to trout fish. This past week he was talking about giving up on wading and just boat fishing for the rest of his days. Anyhow, rather than subject him to the rocks & tough footing in the Park again, I suggested we try the tame stockers in the relative flats of Townsend and he jumped at the chance.

Last week I fished for smallies in Walland but he really wants trout. Any suggestions on where to wade in or what to fish with would be appreciated,as I'll have to buy all the stuff today since we're leaving so early tomorrow.

Will the stocker's take a fly? If not, what?

ttas67
06-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I've only fished the townsend part of the LR a few times. I'm sure they'd take a fly, but I had trouble getting them to. I have had great success with a streamer up there though. particularly a white bugger size 8-10. I have very little experience with that part of the stream though. talk to daniel at LRO and he can help you with access and maybe some effective flies. good luck.

Kevin_Thomas
06-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Speaking of stockers...

I have located one doooozy of a Honey Hole. It is packed with 18+" stockers. The problem is they don't want anything to do with a fly. I'm going to try a white WB and/or a small clouser next time I go.

Kevin

ttas67
06-08-2007, 10:39 AM
so where's this honey hole at?

jdwindon
06-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Daniel, I appreciate the info. Gibby will hopefully be able to employ it and continue to fish the Park and T-Send with what you and our other posters have provided.

We'll stop by after tomorrow's jaunt and let you know how we did. Plus my fly rig needs an overhaul bad. I measured the leader and it's now only 4 foot long. Gee, I wonder if that's why the fly was landing in a heap today at the pond???? I guess the obvious sometimes ain't so clear.

Post will follow. Pray for the tubers to be up late and in the Pancake house instead of on the H20.

Kevin_Thomas
06-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Honey hole.... What honey hole?

If I can't get a look next time I just might turn it over to you...

jdwindon
06-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Common Kevin, let me fish these "honey Holes" first and then I can let you know what happened.

By the Bye, please post YOUR HH's so we can all get a warm fuzzy too!:rolleyes:

Kevin_Thomas
06-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I just found this one about a week ago. I've only been back once...

jdwindon
06-09-2007, 10:40 AM
No trout rose to the occasion. So we headed for smallies in Walland. Right off I got a nice 12" on a rapala. Then things slowed down. Caught 3 more smallies and a Redeye. Mind you I could SEE big fish. Lots of them. They were tight to the bottom, mostly in slower water. A few times one would roll, but they just would not cooperate. Whatever & whenver I pulled a lure near them they either moved aside or swam off. Tried Rooster tails, Mepp's, rapala's. No dice. Wish I had my fly rod, maybe a weenie would have worked.

Then Gibby took a full dunking. Being fresh from Arizona, he was certain that hypothermia had him in a death grip so we split. Went by LRO and picked up some supplies and thanked Daniel for his advice. Gibby stayed in the car with the heater on. When I got in the car I thought I was the one who was gonna die! I must of been well over 100 degrees. I rolled the window down and poor Gibby started shivering. So I gave in and rolled it up. All the way back to Maryville and out 129 I feared for my suffocation. Anyhow, it makes for a good story in the years to come.

Joel never showed but called about 10. Seems it rained all night at Douglas Lake so he figured we were in the same boat - wrong for Maryville & Punkin Center. Just a few drops.

Oh yeah, Little River was even lower than mid week so I doubt it rained much in the Park.

canerod
06-09-2007, 11:00 AM
What I find sad is that I could find no where in the Park that is friendly for someone with a disability to have access to fish.My son is in a wheelchair and would love to have a place to fish. For such a large park with so much water you would think a couple of the slower pools near a road could be made for the people with a disability.For that matter very few of the spots of interest cabins,farms,cemeteries etc are accessible. dave

Paula Begley
06-09-2007, 11:04 AM
canoerod

I believe the fisheries department has handicapped access on their list of things to do. You should see access in the future.

Paula