PDA

View Full Version : My green weenies are gone

scflyfisher
06-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I hit the Davidson for about 2 1/2 hour sthis afternoon. I immediately tied on a green weenie and caught two browns out of the first hole. I continued fishing, getting hits in every likely spot that I threw the delectable (spelling?) fly into. The bad news was that I think I have a bad spool of 5x flouro tippet, b/c I ended up losing either 4 or 5 green weenies. I retied my tippet several times and continues breaking fish off on the hookset. I know every now and then you break off setting the hook, but I have never had a day with this many problems losing my fly. These were decent fish, maybe 10-12 inch browns, but nothing that should be breaking 5x tippet as easily as it was breaking on me. In all, I ended up netting four browns, biggest being about 10". I probably had 15 strikes, and around 10 hooked, so it was a little disappointing only getting four in the net. Just another exmple of how amazing this fly is. I'm only an average FF, so 15 strikes in 2 1/2 hours is very productive for me.

I know I wasn't in the GSMNP, but figured this was an ok spot to post about the GREENIE. I did end up calling it quits when I broke off my last one in the box.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/belawela/Fish006.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/belawela/Fish009.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/belawela/Fish008.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/belawela/Fish005.jpg

fishlicker
06-08-2007, 08:57 PM
WOw. Those are great fish! That does it....I'm stopping by the flyshop tomorrow for some greenie weenies! :)

Realtyman
06-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Just for kicks, throw the tippet away and start all over with new. I now use Frog HAir and I think the 5WT has 35% elasticity. However you say it, the point is that it stretches and takes all the "snap" off of your knots and tippet when setting the hook.

Now to the knots. Whichever knot you use, please be sure that it is tied correctly. More important is "tightening" the knot correctly. I tied improved clinch knots for a long time before someone showed me how to lubricate it and tighten the knot with a brisk snap instead of a long slow pull. An improved clinch knot has to snap to tighten correctly.

Just my $.02

scflyfisher
06-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Realtyman,

I know what you mean about the knots. I have used an improved clinch ver since I began FF 5 years ago, and have never experienced a problem with my knots like I saw today. Thats what was making me begin to think that I might have had a problem with my tippet. It's a shame it cost me 4-5 of the best flies you can have at this time of year.

Matt

Griff
06-08-2007, 11:43 PM
That's why I tie up a few at a time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/PokerGriff/IMGP0280.jpg

I also agree with getting some NEW froghair tippet.

scflyfisher
06-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Griff,

It looks like you've got the right idea. I need to get into tying so that I could have a box like that. I'll look into getting some frog's hair, b/c I do not want to have another day like today. I'll never complain anyday that I catch a few browns, but with good tippet it should have been around 8-10 today instead of 4.

Matt

Gerry Romer
06-09-2007, 08:08 AM
It may not be just Frog Hair...

I got caught in a pretty good isolated storm last week up below the horse park at Tremont and decided to fish through it. I noticed that my Frog Hair wouldn't hold a Davy not. I'd get a fly tied on and when I tightened it down the knot would just pull apart - right through the eye.I don't normally even lubricate a Davy knot. Is there such a thing as "over-lubricated"?

It was very frustrating since a hatch started coming off with the rain and I couldn't change out my fly fast enough. It was definitely more difficult trying to tie a clinch knot with the drenched tippet material, but that, at least, did hold.

Gerry Romer

PeteCz
06-09-2007, 08:22 AM
I've had good success switching to a Pitzen Knot lately...although if the tippet material is too old and brittle it could snap above the knot. If the end of the tippet is faily smooth at the end, more than likely it broke...if it is tight squiggles at the end, the knot came loose.

scflyfisher
06-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Pete,

I may have to look into the pitzen knot. My line was definitely breaking, I checked for the squiggly part at the end to make sure my knot was not coming untied as well. I haven't even had this spool of tippet more than a few months and have used it before with no issues. I guess strange things just happen sometimes.

ttas67
06-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I know everybody loves froghair. I used it for most of the past few years. however, I ran across some test/review online a while back in which they found rio brand tippet to be the overall "best" (whatever that means, it was enough for me to give it a try). well, I have since switched to rio and love it. I had problems with froghair, particularly with it twisting up on me. I have no such problems with the rio. also, it's half the price of froghair. I like it so much that if froghair were only $2 a spool, I'd still buy the rio. I personally think the orvis superstrong is an excellent tippet as well, also half the price of froghair.

tennswede
06-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I guess I am the last man standing in a river caught with plain old "mono", and a brand of mono that happens to be on sale at any given time. I'm cheap yes I know I know.

scflyfisher
06-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Hans,

Nothing wrong with that. I have preety much only used mono in the park, and have always been reasonbly successful. However, I do seem to have a little better results on the Davidson with flouro tippet. This could obviously just be coincidence. Maybe it is because of the incredible amount of pressure that the Davidson receives. I know people think that Little River gets hit hard, but I feel like its a lot worse on the Davidson. I'm always happy when I get over on the TN side of the park b/c I always feel like I'm fighting smaller crowds no matter what stream I go to compared to the Davidson.