PDA

View Full Version : W. Prong Little Pigeon 6/07

pineman19
06-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I had a chane to squeeze in a little flyfishing during a forestry meeting in Gatlinburg this Wed/Friday. I fished Greenbriar for around an hour and a half on Wed after getting settled into my motel room. It was around 4:30 pm when I got started which probably wasn't the best time for hatches, etc. I was a little rusty since this was my first action with a long rod since October 06. I had some strikes, but didn't manage to land any fish. I ended up leaving around 6:00 to go to social gathering so I missed the evening hatch. On Thursday I decided to try the W. Prong of the Little Pigeon after a barbecue. I ended up hitting the stream around 7:00 pm, and at that time there were a few bugs hatching and I caught a 8" bow after about ten minutes of fishing. The water level was very low, and the action was a little slow until right before dusk. Then the yellow sallies and caddis started coming off in good numbers and the fish became more cooperative. I caught a few where I couldn't see my fly, but could see the fish striking my fly. I ended up catching 9 bows in the 8-4" range, and it was great being in the smokies again. I hope the drought ceases so I get the opportunity to return later this summer/fall. I sure hated to return to W. TN after my brief trip, but it was nice break after having some health issues earlier this year.

Neal

tennswede
06-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Neal!

I had the same experience last Saturday as you can read in my post. Tough in the beginning but the last few hours of day light made it better. I'm glad you had a chance to wet a line. I'm going to Finland on Tuesday for a long awaited vacation. I'm hoping to catch a grayling or two.

Take care

pineman19
06-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Hans,

Have a good time on your trip, catch a few grayling for me

David Knapp
06-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Glad you managed a few fish. I'm always rusty when I haven't fished for awhile and those mountain fish are so quick that it causes further problems. I haven't fished the West Prong for awhile despite fishing it a lot a few years ago. Your report has me wanting to hit it again so thanks for the inspiration!:cool: