PDA

View Full Version : Hugh, I can't say I believe You!

Fishermansfly
06-09-2007, 08:37 AM
I just finished up doing my daily report checks and to my surprise I read yours from yesterday! I too have though about this kind of instruction mainly for using nymphs with narration, for some reason I learn alot more this way! I can't say I know where Deep Creek is but man was I shocked when I read your report! 30 Ft from tubers and catching fish. I think I would have been in the same boat your in when you though it would be a rought day. I've always wondered if these fish would migrate to a different location up or further downstream when the tuber hatch is in full bloom! This now has me wondering, and my mind won't stop wandering! This could meen a great potential for larger fish this time of year due to the fact there is virually no fishing pressure on these fish during the summer. Not to mention not many people brave attempting to catch these fish during this time of year...

Well many applause from here! I'm sure anyone else who reads and see's the accompaning pics will certainly agree! Congrat's on a huge feat! Glad to see you overcame your obstacles, quite litarally!

Awesome!!!!! Cheers to that!
Fishermansfly

Hugh Hartsell
06-09-2007, 01:14 PM
FF, if you haven't visited Deep Creek at this time of the year, you have missed a site to behold. It is located just outside of Bryson City, N.C. It is one of the better streams in the Park and has some excellent backcountry fishing. It also has one of the biggest tube hatches in the country. About 1-1/2 miles of stream are given over to tubers and Boy, do they show up in masses! Little River pales in comparison. It really makes you wonder if the man produced free food that is coming down the stream is producing the same effect as a hatch. There have got to be huge numbers of nymphs that get dislodged by swimmers and tubers as they come down the stream. It stands to reason that the fish would learn to take advantage of this. We stopped at a small ice cream store right at the Park boundry as we were leaving yesterday and a man asked Carolyn if she had caught any fish. She told him that we did, and he told her of a fella that had caught a brown just downstream that measured 35in. long. They apparently run up out of Fontana Lake and go into Deep Creek to spawn. I asked her what she would do if she hooked a fish that was 35 in. long on a 4wt????
Thanks for the kudos and thanks for reading the reports on our website. Good fishing to you.

mtnman2888
06-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Well if there was ever anybody that could do it, leave it to hugh and carolyn. I have a hard enough time catching fish under ideal conditions, let alone during a tuber hatch of epic proportions.

Craig

billyspey
06-09-2007, 10:14 PM
hugh; you know trout are a funny creature .what you think, will put them down doesn,t . you know i fish from a jet boat a lot. have ran over trout several times and it does not seam to bother them they will keep on feeding. but a tall shadow moving slow over them will spook them. the tubers are low to the water and are moving fast it doesn't seam to bother them. so when you fish directly below the boat you must make longer cast and fish a greater distance from you. if out to the side you can get by with a shorter cast and be sucessful. a slow proding boat making a big wake spooks more fish than about anything. i prefer a boat runnning past where i am fish ,to pass as fast as they can. i know some waters that i fish they don't do that ,they think it is being courtesy to go slow by you. it disturbes the fish for a longer time than a fast boat.

Vern
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
when I first started fishing the Caney Fork a few years ago I would leave the water when the Canoe hatch wolud start. But It seems to me that there are times for some reason that when a canoe move over one of the deeper holes the trout will turn on for a few minutes. Is it becaused by the trout being spooked out out the resting spot and as they are moving they decide to get a quick bite to eat? I never thought about it happening with the wild trout in the smokies, but I have seen the stockers do it.

billyspey
06-09-2007, 10:49 PM
maybe thats it! more insect being disloged.

ttas67
06-09-2007, 11:18 PM
hugh, congrats! it's one thing to get paid for taking others fishing, and its an even better thing to be paid for letting someone watch YOU fish. as far as catching fish with the tubers, I could've told you that would happen. I've fished that very stretch numerous times, holding my cast every 3 or 4 minutes to let tubers pass. I always thought it was strange, and just figured they'd grown used to the tubers. the idea of them kicking up insects is something I'd never thought of, but makes sense.

I'll agree with you and say deep creek is a sight to behold. some of the nicest water and prettiest waterfalls all within the first mile or so. Lots of snakes too! what's also nice is the "no tubing beyond this point" sign. why can't they put one of those up on LR?

Kytroutbum
06-10-2007, 12:22 AM
I have to agree with Hugh statement "There have got to be huge numbers of nymphs that get dislodged by swimmers and tubers as they come down the stream. It stands to reason that the fish would learn to take advantage of this."

I was on the Big Horn and had 15+ inch Bows being pulled up out of deeper water onto a gravel bar with 5- 10 inches of water. They were coming up feeding at the tip of my wading shoes. No One was intentionally doing the "San Juan Shuffle" at that time, but that changed quickly. We had so many trout feeding at our feet I got bored catching fish. The midge larvae we were using had to float absolutely drag free to get a hit.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum