PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP fishing report 6/11

WNCFLY
06-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Well I made it up to the park this weekend for a little fishing. I started on Straight Fork around 10:00 and managed a few small bows. Around 1:00 I switched to a para hopper and the fishing turned on pretty good. Well around 6:00 I decided to try a tiny creek I had read about in Don Kirk's GSMNP fishing guide. The creek is called Kanati Fork. I normally wouldn't give away a brook trout stream you can drive too but anyone can get one of those books and figure it out pretty easy. I told myself that I wanted to catch one brookie for a pic and grand slam. Well two hours later I had caught and dropped about 5 tiny fish that were no longer than my pinkie finger. The time was about 8:00 and for those of you who have been in a little stream this time of day you know how dark it can get. I said to my self that I will fish one more pocket and thats it. For the last half mile I had been crawling through rhododendron bushes dabbing my fly in tiny pockets. To my surprise I pushed through a couple of bushes and there was the first real pocket I had seen. I decided to take the barbless rubber legged stimulator off and tie on a #14 parachute adams with a barb. My very first cast hit the water and the surface exploded. When the short fight was over I brought in about a 8" spec. I took a quick picture, safely released the fish, broke my rod down and rock hopped my way back to the car as darkness fell. To make a long story short it was not the best fishing day I have had but it was kind of special in its on way. I hope everybody else had a good weekend and I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Here are a few pics (sorry for the quality, it was almost dark when I took these).

Straight Fork brown.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/Straightfrktrout.jpg

One of the more "open" areas of Kanati Fork
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/KanatiFrk.jpg

Kanati Fork Brookie
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/KanatiFrkBrook.jpg

mtnman2888
06-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Nice job! Looks like you had a good day. I like fishing those small streams. I can guarantee that you didn't run into any other fisherman on that stream.

Craig

WNCFLY
06-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Nope. No fisherman up there. I was just waiting to run into something else though. Its kind of creepy when its getting dark and your alone in the middle of the woods.

sammcdonald
06-11-2007, 09:00 PM
hahahaha...at kanati you can run into ANYTHING

mtnman2888
06-11-2007, 09:13 PM
We definitely need to get together and fish a stream like that. Not too many people like those small streams like that. Although the fish are small, it taxes every skill and technique a fly fisherman has.

And if you felt a little creepy and alone out there by yourself in the dark woods, then you know you've found a truely special place not many dare to brave. Great report!

Craig

Gerry Romer
06-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Nice pics, nice report, NICE FISH!!

Now... where exactly did you get that book? :biggrin:

Gerry

old tom
06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
[Now... where exactly did you get that book? :biggrin: ]

That book's full of lies and half truths. Don't believe a word in it. :biggrin:

Seriously, that book, and Jocob's Streams of the Southern Appalachia should be in every Park fisherman's library.

Fishermansfly
06-12-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm thinkin that looks an awfull lot like the stream dad and I fished this past winter way, way up the middle prong! Can't recall the name of the stream but it bears left from thunder head as u ascend the mountain! Beautiful stream! Moss covered rocks and very little sun makes for some cold water!

Beautiful Brook! I also second MTNMAN's reply to the fact it muster's up every technicality a ffisherman has to catch something in a stream of that size! Job well done!

WNCFLY
06-12-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm thinkin that looks an awfull lot like the stream dad and I fished this past winter way, way up the middle prong! Can't recall the name of the stream but it bears left from thunder head as u ascend the mountain! Beautiful stream! Moss covered rocks and very little sun makes for some cold water!

Beautiful Brook! I also second MTNMAN's reply to the fact it muster's up every technicality a ffisherman has to catch something in a stream of that size! Job well done!

Actually this stream is on the North Carolina side of the park. It runs under 441 right above the Kephart trail entrance. If your not looking for it you could easily miss it. There is a trail called Kanati fork but I never even caught a glimpse of it anywhere near the creek. These kind of creeks are really special in their own right. I wouldn't consider this fly fishing, more like fly dabbing but I really enjoy just getting away from everything for a while.