PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Flyfishing

hw3
06-11-2007, 06:13 PM
I am not sure this is the best board for this, but I am seriously considering trying to impart some basic flyfishing to a Church Youth Group of high schoolers. We just finished our annual mission trip, this year to Eastern Kentucky, and some of the youth are interested in learning to flyfish. Is a bridge too far to try to coordinate a trip to LRO/GSMNP, so I am going to try this on some farm ponds on Bluegrass Horse Farms in or near Lexington. I will offer to teach them with any flyfishing equipment they have, up to a six weight, but know there will be questions on what to buy for those with no flyfishers in their immediate lineage. Probably recommend a starter kit, but haven't a clue which combo would work best? We have an Orvis shop, and a Dick's, and a (drumroll) brand new Sportsmans Warehouse in Lex, and I will surely recommend shopping on line at LRO, but I am not sure about specifics. Any stream fishing after the ponds will be in central Kentucky streams, where there is much room, some smallies, and lots of bream. Would only consider a trip to Townsend for any who really take to the sport. Any suggestions? Thanks for your assistance. Skip Watson

Gerry Romer
06-11-2007, 09:46 PM
You might want to take a look at the new Streamline (budget) series of outfits from Orvis. I thought I saw some complete outfits at LRO over the weekend. You're not going to find much of any worth at Dick's and probably nothing at that warehouse place. If you've got a Gander Mountain nearby you could send the kids to take a look at some of their budget-priced St. Croix outfits. Our local Wally World has just about gotten out of the fly fishing end of the fishing biz but they still have a few Eagle Claw 4-piece outfits that aren't too awful and a whole rack of SA 2-piece outfits.

If you can find some complete outfits, get the ones that are unassembled so that the kids have to learn how to tie some knots :biggrin: .

Good luck!!

Gerry Romer

ttas67
06-11-2007, 11:20 PM
skip, I'd call daniel at LRO and he could probably set the kids up some kind of package. my suggestion: TFO signature ($100) and a ross flystart reel ($40), and some cheap line.

I'm not sure how big your church is or how many people you're talking about, but if these lessons are something you'll do every year, you or the church may consider investing in a few outfits to use for teaching or loaning out to those without the means to buy their own.

Gerry Romer
06-12-2007, 09:57 PM
The Orvis Spring Sale newsletter shows a 9' 6wt. Green Mountain rod/reel/backing/line/braided loop/leader setup on sale for $88 (reg. $92.50). Pretty good price for a starter setup.

Gerry

smokyfisher
06-14-2007, 10:43 AM
If you are a member of FFF you can get rod reel outfits on loan:smile:

Byron Begley
06-14-2007, 10:53 AM
You might want to talk to the people at the Salato Center in Frankfort. Just call Kentucky Fish and Wildlife and ask for the Salato Center. I'm pretty sure they have fly fishing outfits you can use. They also have a nice pond there where they teach fly fishing. KFW considers teaching kids to fish a high priority. If you want to buy those Orvis outfits we can probably get them for you. We can also get the St. Croix outfits. Just give us a call. I would buy an 8 1/2 foot 5 or 6 weight. You can use them in ponds or streams. The shorter rod would be easier for beginners to manage on a stream. For pond fishing only I would go with a 9' rod. A 6 weight would be better for larger poppers than a 5. Many 6 weight rods come in 9' lengths only. I would call Daniel. He does the rod and reel buying at the shop and he knows everything about what the companies offer.

Byron

Grumpy
06-19-2007, 07:54 AM
You might want to talk to the people at the Salato Center in Frankfort. Just call Kentucky Fish and Wildlife and ask for the Salato Center. I'm pretty sure they have fly fishing outfits you can use. They also have a nice pond there where they teach fly fishing. KFW considers teaching kids to fish a high priority.
Byron

Good suggestion, i teach classes for TWRA around here, they have 15 outfits that we use & loan them to me when i have other classes.
It would benefit anyone to work through a shop, they can make sure of the appropriate outfit & be sure they are set up correctly.

Grumpy