PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a Newbie

Skeeterbait
06-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Hey, y'all!

I'm a new member but not new to fly fishing (almost twenty years - WOW - where has the time gone?). I'm coming up this weekend to meet a friend who has taken up our grand sport this spring and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where I should take someone new to the sport. We'll be staying in Gatlinburg and I was thinking about Elkmont or Tremont, but I heard a rumor they're closing the road to Elkmont every evening due to the lightning bugs?? We're bringing our wives to shop while we fish, so I don't want to get up there and not be able to get out for supper. Any other ideas?

I hope to stop by LRO Friday afternoon, but I've got the itch pretty bad (I haven't fished since Labor Day :eek: ), so we might have to fish first and then come by on Saturday.

sammcdonald
06-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Elkmont....go to www.recreation.gov and see if there are ANY sites for this weekend...there were NONE last weekend. Cades Cove was the same. The fireflies run through the 16th at Elkmont. If you stay at Elkmont, you will have access to the campground even thought the road is closed to all other traffic. Tremont has no campground.

cdu1961
06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
hello and welcome .i would say anywhere on the little river btw,elkmont and the wye. keep it in the riffels ,stay low and anything that is yellow #16.good luck and tight lines.

sammcdonald
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
ooppps i misread the post about elkmont/tremont. however, the elkmont road and the trailhead to little river trail parking areas will be closed at 5:30. Parking if you arrive prior to 5:30 but will not depart until after 5:30 is available at the Jakes Creek Trailhead. All cars must be gone from Little River Trailhead by 5:30.

Skeeterbait
06-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks! We'll try that section and I'll let you know how it goes.

ijsouth
06-14-2007, 06:02 PM
If you don't mind the drive, you can try Straight Fork on the NC side - the flow there looked a lot healthier.

Skeeterbait
06-14-2007, 06:52 PM
That's a possibility, too. I'm from High Point, NC, so I'm a little more familiar with our side of the park. My friend is from Kentucky, but has been cutting his teeth on the Caney Fork and other streams up around Nashville. Since we can both fish the park without having to buy another license, it's a logical meeting place. I had also thought about Deep Creek or possibly Noland Creek because I was educated on both those streams, but those are both pretty good drives (do-able, but long drives). Anyway, we'll try somewhere below Elkmont tomorrow afternoon and then decide what to do from there.

Thanks for the advice!

Skeeterbait
06-24-2007, 09:58 PM
I forgot to post when we got back last week.

We tried the East Prong of Little River about a mile above the Y on Friday afternoon and saw fish but couldn't get them to take anything (probably because they could see us too). I did catch a couple of nice sized chubs, though. :)

We moved up to Tremont, about at the end of the paved section, from 6:30 till almost dark, but didn't do any good up there either. It's been a while, so I was a little out of practice. But, MAN! I've never seen the water so low!

Saturday morning we fished above Elkmont with another friend from Maryville. I finally caught one (a 6" bow) out of a small shaded pool. My buddy from Maryville caught three. We hiked out at noon and had the best peanut butter and jelly sandwiches we had ever tasted, then drove over to Tremont and hiked in about a mile to mile and a half above the cascade. My Maryville buddy caught one more, but had to leave about 4:00 pm because he was worn out from moving into their new house earlier in the week. I missed a couple, then we came out about 5:00 pm to go have dinner with the wives (yeah, I know, the fishing was probably just about to pick back up for the evening till dark). But it was just good to be out again.

All in all, we had a fun trip. My Kentucky buddy said he learned a lot just watching what we were doing, even though he didn't catch any fish. He said this was totally foreign to the kind of fishing he's used to over north of Nashville, so it was a good experience for him anyway. I'm praying y'all start getting some regular rain soon, or I fear for the fish in July and August.

Thanks for the pre-trip advice.

SB