PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

UofMontanaAlum
06-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Hello,

My name is Scott and I currently live in Knoxville TN. I was relocated to Tennessee from Montana to work for Whirlpool Appliance Co.

Hard to believe that I spent 23 years in Montana and it took Tennessee to really get me interested in fly fishing. :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone. If anyone in the Knox area is new to fly fishing and would like another newbie to hang out with on the waters, send me an email @ Scott.Paulson@Whirlpool.com.

Scott

David Knapp
06-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Welcome aboard and to fly fishing!

Byron Begley
06-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Scott,

Welcome to the board. This is a friendly place where information is shared. This summer I will go on my 11th fishing trip to Montana in 25 years. I'd like to go every year. You will enjoy East Tennessee and all the friendly people you will meet. Welcome!

Byron

UofMontanaAlum
06-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Byron, Where in Montana will you be going? Although I haven't fly fished Montana much, I know most of the waters throughout the state.

I am going on a back country ATV trip with my dad next year in the Bob Marshall/GlacierNP area and I hope to have improved my fly fishing skills/knowledge to be able to take advantage of some of the mountain streams.

I look forward to learning from this site and I hope to see some of you out on the water :smile:

Byron Begley
06-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Paula and I are staying in Gallatin Gateway at a friend's house. So, if there is any water we'll fish the Gallatin and Madison probably. Maybe Spanish Creek. I usually stay in West Yellowstone or Paradise Valley. We like Chico Hot Springs and Hubbards Yellowstone Lodge. Still, my favorite is West Yellowstone.

Byron

UofMontanaAlum
06-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I went to school for a few semesters in Bozeman MT (a couple miles from Gallatin Gateway) and enjoyed it. I skiied Bridger Bowl and Big Sky Ski Area alot while I was there. Looking back I wish I would have been into fly fishing. My wifes parents live there now and said that they are 2" above average rainfall this year.

I used to go to West Yellowstone a few times per year, in the summer for Street Rod car shows and in the winter to snowmobile. Its a great place to walk around and see all the little local shops. Just like Pigeon Forge, you have to bring your wallet because its a tourist trap. :smile:

I got the thumbs up from the wife on taking LRO beginner lessons. Now I need to find a weekend that works. Do the classes fill up or is there room in the class most weekends?

UofMontanaAlum
06-19-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm going to bump this thread back to the top instead of creating a new one.

Quick question:

Is an 8wt usable in East Tennessee rivers. I will probably be on the Clinch most of the time while learning to fly fish.

I am going to look into a 4-5wt at the end of the season but I was given a Orvis 8wt 4pc 9' as a gift from my dad.

Thanks
Scott

rainshaker
06-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Hey Scott...welcome

In my opinion an 8 wt would be fine for the Clinch. In fact, you may need a heavier Rod to handle some of the 20+ inch Browns I've seen come out of there. I used a 6wt last time I was on the Clinch, but whats a few more ounces :-)

My wife and I will be in Big Sky soon; one of our favorite places. I find it difficult to get away from the Gallatin River at times. I mean, if you're already on a Blue Ribbon stretch of water, why drive anywhere else? Change of Scenery? :-)

But seriously, I'd like to hear about any lesser known streams between Big Sky and West Yellowstone. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

UofMontanaAlum
06-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Rainshaker,

Thanks for the info on the rod. I was worried that I would have a bad experience with that size.

I really am not the best resource for giving advise on lesser known streams as I just recently took up the sport of fly fishing. While in Bozeman, most of my time was spent on the saddle of my mountain bike (summer) or hiking the ridge at Bridger Bowl for some fresh powder snowboarding(winter). The only flies I cast while in the state of Montana were into the Swan River and on Swan Lake, near Glacier National Park last summer.

Byron said he was making his way out to Gallatin Gateway for his 11th trip. He may have some experience with lesser known waters in that area.

Byron Begley
06-21-2007, 03:19 PM
UofMontanaAlum,

Our beginner classes are almost always full. During the summer you can get a spot on fairly short notice. In the Spring you have to reserve way in advance. If you call the folks downstairs at 448-9459 they can pull out the calendar and let you know what is available.

Rainshaker,

I like to fish a brookie stream near Gallatin Gateway called Spanish Creek. It's been a while though so I don't know if it is still good. I would check with Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. We refer customers to them. They are free with information. There are some streams that feed the Madison that can be excellent but I can't think of their names right now.

Byron

UofMontanaAlum
06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Took my first trip to LRO to pick up an order I placed online this morning. What a beautiful store! And so many goodies I want!!

When I got there my order was already paid for, bagged up and ready to go. Daniel answered a few questions and I headed up to the park. Ended up fishing between Metcalf Bottoms and Elkmont. I had fun but I had a hard time hooking into anything. Fishing in Tennessee is different than Montana (Especially all of the %*#%*&# trees and bushes!). I think I might have been alittle early too. I had to be home by 7:30pm so I was on the water at 4:45 and off by 6:50. I wish I could have stayed until dusk/dark.

I want to say that I had a great experience using the LRO online catalog/store. Easy to navigate/use/checkout. I was very impressed. Thanks guys!!

Scott

Tex24
07-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I lived in Montana for a bit myself and still visit as much as possible. Last year I fished the Mill Creek in Paradise Valley. It is a small creek that flows from the mountains into the Yellowstone River. I was impressed with the fishing, especially the amount of Cutthroat. I fished there for 3 days and did not see another person.

cardfly
07-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi Scott,

I'm a noob as well and called LRO on Sunday and registered for beginner class at the end of September. I am really looking forward to going. They were very helpful on the phone.